Thread: Windows 8

Windows 8

I was just wondering if anyone was running this yet? And if so is it worth the $39.99 that I see it selling for on the Windows store until the 31st. As much as I hate to turn loose of XP I guess it's time to go to a 64 bit OS. I'm leaning toward 7 but at $39.99 8 looks attractive.

I have read anywhere that Windows 8 isn't so good and I 2can't say if they had compared it With Win

Lagu
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

I guess there is some problems with the boinc install starting when windows starts. I think Ramjet has been having some trouble with that issue. We both bought an upgrade version for 39.99 after a rebate card. My feeling is use linux where you can on crunchers and windows 7 for gaming rigs or DVR.

Just make sure you de-select the defaults during install and it runs like a dream in the final version.
    I even have the Intel OpenCL (for my i3-2100) running alongside the AMD OpenCL (for my HD 4770).

I have just been scrounging around buying win7 oem for my crunchers rather than get involved with the win8. Sadly, MS seems to be their own worst enemy as they seem unable to improve on the good stuff they have and instead have to go into re-inventing the wheel each time they bring out a new version -- complete with a new set of new problems.

It's too bad that Uncle Bill just didn't turn NT4 over to the public domain and let the hobby guys rework it into something that actually worked better than anything the MS software writers seem to be able to produce..... just sayin......... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
    Sadly, ms seems to be their own worst enemy as they seem unable to improve on the good stuff they have and instead have to go into re-inventing the wheel each time they bring out a new version -- complete with a new set of new problems.

bingo!!!!!