Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cooling them Hotties

Quote Originally Posted by Jason1478963 View Post
    Terry1953 thanks for the recognition of the system for heating water. The biggest chunk of the cost for me was the initial waterblocks and pieces parts. I would say with my setup in the basement it doesn't really use more electricity to pump the water for heating as one 50 watt pump replaces 6 or more cpu fans and/or gpu fans. The week spot in my system is the thermal siphon heat exchanger and small tank. I don't overclock all that much as I like the ability to heat water and don't always use the hot water fast enough in summer time when running several systems. In the winter time I plan on maintaining a certain temp with the koolance controller in the pre-heat tank by circulating the water into the living room zone to help heat it. I'm not sure you could run an exhaust fan for the power the 2 cooling loop pumps draw. :P What are your doing to cool your facility with all heat producing machines your running? If you can do it without using a/c to fight the extra BTUs it would be a considerable energy saver. (1 kWh is the energy equivalent of 3412.3 BTUs)
    LOL Right now I'm just paying an Air Conditioning bill. Next week I'll be moved into my shed hideaway and it will become my source of heat through the winter. I have an 8,000 BTU window air unit to get by till cooler air moves in and then the insulation, and it only being a 12x12 room should take care of it till spring when I'll bring the air conditioning back online. I will be venting much of the heat out the wall next spring and the air bill should be minimal. I just got another 6970 up and running this afternoon. I need one more to pair it up then I'm moving on to 7000 series.

Terry/Gatekeeper53

When it comes to declaring a cooler 'the best' it ultimately comes to a trade-off between cooling performance and noise.
    I've tried to set a few of the best coolers in a graph where one Y-axis is noise in dB(A) and the other Y-axis is the difference between ambient and CPU temperature under full load.
    Data per courtesy of Hardwaresecrets.com
    AirVsWater.jpg
    Anybody wanting his/her cooler mentioned here too, just name it...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 10-17-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    As for getting rid of heat: We're mounting our coolers in the wrong direction!
    Traditionally we have, after years of either blowing down or sucking up, coolers that blow in the direction of the rear ventilator.
    This appears not the ideal solution for modern cases that have ventilation on top.
    The new way of blowing is in the direction of the top-ventilator, which needs to suck the hot air out of the case.
    The CPU-cooler doubles as secondary GPU cooler by sucking hot air from the back of the videocard upwards to the top ventilator.
    There seems to be a logical explanation for this as explained on Tomshardware:

Note: "AMD CPUs are typically not as affected due to their larger die area and CPU orientation; in most cases, all heat pipes cross the rectangular hot spot."
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 10-21-2013 at 10:10 AM.

I had already mentioned the low-profile Thermalright AXP-200 hadn't I?
    A low-profile (73mm high, including the 140mm(!) TY-14013R fan) cooler, also available in AMD/Ati friendly colors:

These utter kings of cool also have the SilverArrow SB-E,
    another attempt at dwarfing the competition.
    It has two fans of which the biggest is no less than L170 mm x H153 mm x W25.5 mm, but in butt-ugly colors:

Must have had a preview in the Noctua factories....
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 12-17-2019 at 11:47 PM.

Butt ugly or not if it works don't mock it! Thanks for the fan points. Always nice to see they are moving towards more precisely pushing air not massaging it through the air.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    Butt ugly or not if it works don't mock it!
    But they can do so much better than a camouflaged piece of aluminium:

Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition with 2x 140mm fans
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-31-2015 at 10:19 PM.

I'm still cooling most of mine with this antique Most of the fancy air cooled setups like this didn't exist when I purchased most of my water blocks. The quiet fans and heat-pipes has made liquid cooling less necessary for most people.

Am I stupid or does this Corsair H105 review really make a very big plea for the Noctua NH-D14 or NH-15?
    The Noctua is expensive -for an air cooler- but the H105 is far more expensive. And look at those results......
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-31-2015 at 10:17 PM.

I am sorry for the extra price I will go with Liquid Cooling thanks. Nice writeup but that is extreme and excessive funds for a fan!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

I'm not sure this would be a good review if your mounting yours in a case as case airflow would change things. This could possibly reduce 2 case fans from your shopping list, but it surely looks like their setup in an open system the corsair wouldn't be worth the extra cost.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast