Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cooling them Hotties

The old model is getting replaced with bigger new ones, the old go to Lithuania.

That just the modern ones: the old Dutch windmill remains where it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    My only super sized Cooler Master Fan is dying, Amazon Prime to the rescue. Guaranteed Delivery Monday Setp 11th.

All else is in working order, making short visits to get things done then back off till I need to access the internet, I am not dead yet!
    Did you have a model with red or blue led-light, or a led-less fan?

Hey Dirk it looks as if it takes two of the new windmills to replace the old one.

No, it doesn't. The old one still performs for what she was intended: keeping the water level in the canals of the 'polder' steady.
    The new ones are for electricity.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-15-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    The old model is getting replaced with bigger new ones, the old go to Lithuania.

That just the modern ones: the old Dutch windmill remains where it is!
    New ones still haven't been built, but Zoeterwoude also has windmills at the lands surrounding the Zoeterwoude-Rijndijk Heineken Brewery.

All-In-One (AIO) watercoolers have been made popular by the famous 'Corsair' brand, but how do these coolers compare themselves to each other?

Cranked up to 2300 rpm the H115i shows its might:

An in-depth review of the H115 models, with an emphasis on the H115i Platinum (there appear to be three, The H115i, the original, is an older Asetek design. The newer H115i Pro uses the Asetek Gen6 pump. The H115i Platinum uses CoolIT’s solution.)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 12-17-2019 at 10:40 PM.

There are some common pitfalls when judging CPU coolers. One of them is 'Bigger is Better'.
    While generally true, it is not the mere size. Not every 140 mm fan is better than the average 120 mm fan, but on average a 140 mm fan will generate more airflow at the same RPM, and at less noise.
    And it is not the mere size of the cooling block, but the amount of square inch aluminium that is exposed to that airflow.
    The theoretically best air cooler has, IMHO, two cooling blocks and three 140 mm fans (three blocks and four fans would be even better, but would result is one massive cooler that won't fit any case) and would preferably be build with Noctua-quality cooling blocks and fans, like this

With AIO cooling there are more things to consider. The bit about the fans remains the same, but the cooling block gets replaced with the radiator and an extra variable comes in with the pump.
    Those single radiator Corsair AIOs show that the 'el cheapo' H45 outperforms its more expensive brothers and sisters (or are they mere cousins? Who really makes the H45? Not Asetek or Coolit...).
    How is that possible?

The H45 has a fan that runs at a much higher speed than most other Corsair AIOs, resulting in more CFM airflow and a higher static pressure. Its pump is much bigger -sitting on the radiator instead of the heatplate, as with the Coolit and Asetek produced AIOs- and runs the water faster through the radiator. That radiator might have the same size in square inches, but in cubic inches it is much bigger. And we haven't yet started about yet another possible parameter: FPI, or fins per inch -both factors together read: how much water is in the radiator at a given time, and how much is it stretched out in your radiator so the fan can do its job blowing cool air over hot piping? The H45 wins here too.

So, especially for its money, the H45 is my favorite Corsair single radiator AIO cooler. I might want to cool a Raspberry Pi 4 with it, in an attempt to reach the 2500 MHz. Sadly, it lacks fittings for the Pi but it will do good as well on any 35 or 65 Watt TDP Ryzen CPU and/or APU and might even still do a good job on 95 and 105 Watt Ryzens.
    No Threadripping performance though, and a bit noisy -more noisy (according to actual users) than Corsair will report themselves.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 01-11-2020 at 02:21 AM.

Single radiator AIO coolers kind of defy the reason why you take watercooling: to enlarge the cooling surface. There are plenty of 120 or 140 mm air coolers, some even with a double cool block and two (or three fans).
    The next logical step is to enlarge the radiator, so more water can be cooled at a given time. On average the dual radiator AIO is better than the average single radiator AIO, but things can vary due to before mentioned set of variables: fan efficiency (more RPM/CFM is better), pump efficiency (faster is better) and radiator efficiency (how much water is dispersed over how much centimeter tubing? The more, the merrier). Apart from the radiator improvements all others give you more noise as an added bonus.

King of the Corsair dual radiator portfolio seems to be the H115i, but it comes in three flavours. The H115i (the original, let's call it the H115iV1) is an older Asetek design. The newer H115i Pro (or H115iV2) uses the Asetek Gen6 pump. The H115i Platinum uses CoolIT’s solution. The Pro is my personal favorite, because it has no RGB.

Even better(?) than the dual radiator solution is the triple radiator if the previous logic still applies. All AIO models are stuck at 3x 120mm it seems, in the case of Corair the H150i Pro.
    This table is quite revealing as to the added value of AIO coolers:

In a next post I will show you the holy grail of water cooling: the DYI, Do-It-Yourself. Buy you own pump, tubing, connectors, radiators, fans, etc. And bring money, lots of it.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 03-04-2020 at 10:13 PM.

eh, i prefer air still. don't have to worry about any leaks down the road. and my friend says he doesn't miss the pump noise of his corsair AIO. not to mention way WAY cheaper.

in the $45 range, Mugen 5, Windale 6 (i have a slightly larger Ninja 4, and the smaller Windale 4 which i like for its performance bracket). maaaybe the Cooler Master MA610P or Dark Rock Pro or Thermaltake True Spirit 140?

personally, i still hold a grudge against the 212 series because of one of the older AM3 Cooler Master 212s where i had to apply so much pressure, my thumb ended up with internal bleeding. i even stumbled across some review site that pointed it out in a later 212 that got rid of it:

one short term deal for 4 cores, maaaaaybe 6: the Scythe Grand Kama Cross 3 (i'm seeing for $30 at Newegg). massive, but at least it's quiet. and is a down blower, so if you need to keep your VRMs cool (say, if you're running an APU with poor/no SoC cooling/heatsinking). not sure if i installed it poorly, but my 2400G sometimes spikes to 75C with it. and if you can find a Ninja 4 for $40 or less (might need a $5ish AM4 adapter). this one rivals a Noctua D15.

also, if any of you get a Zen 2 AM4 chip, probably don't freak out about temps unless you're hitting over 85C outside of Prime95. looks like even reviewers are hitting about 85C on say the 3900X in Blender
    Last edited by plonk420; 02-04-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Recycling and updating an older posting (from June 2013)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post

Cooling is getting more and more important now CPUs and GPUs are spilling heat like there's no tomorrow in your casing.
    How to keep the system cool? There are lots of choices:
    1. Air. Add fans till there's no more room for them, though it may depend on your casing and the outside temperature whether air will be enough and the noise of 10+ fans in one system alone may be prohibitive.
    2. Water. Lots of commercial products around nowadays. Costs a bit more than air cooling, but is less noisy and seems to work better too.
    3. Liquid nitrogen, aka LQN or N2. Works even better than water, because it is far colder.
    4. Phase changer(s). For those who like to be on the cutting edge. You can even put a few in series to approach the absolute zero...

Air
    There are a few things that are important for air coolers: The amount of air that gets moved, the pressure the fan can deliver while moving the air and the noise it takes to do so. In the past a 40mm fan was enough, now 120mm is the pretty much standard in modern casings. Fans have gotten bigger and bigger because bigger fans can push more air while making less noise. Those who buy a Cooler Master HAF 932 can get three 230mm(!) fans with it! The biggest problem with air cooling remains that you can not get lower temperatures than the ambient temperature -if you find air cooling who can achieve such a feat in the first place-, a problem that already painfully rises with our Australian and Southern US members, let alone those who live even closer to the equator...

Part 1: super-sized case fans (>200mm) Let's start with the utter kings of cool -at least in looks- of the air department:
    Brand Type Diameter
    in mm
    Speed
    in rpm
    Noise
    in dB(A)
    Airflow
    in cfm
    cfm/dB Airflow
    in m3/h
    m3h/dB Air pressure
    in mm H2O
    pressure/dB
    1st PC Corp. FN-250
    na
    -
    na
    -
    Akasa AK-F2230SM
    BitFenix Spectre Pro
    na
    -
    BitFenix Spectre
    na
    -
    Ichbinleise EKL 225/800
    300-800
    11-29
    Rexus Rexflo 250mm
    na
    -
    na
    -
    Rexus Rexflo 360mm
    na
    -
    na
    -
    ThermalTake Thunderblade 23
    na
    -
    Yate Loon D22SL-12H
    na
    -
    na
    -
    Yate Loon D22BL-12H
    na
    -
    na
    -
    These figures, however, are the manufacturers claims. In real life/testing other values might be measured, such as with the Akasa AK-F2230SM and the IchBinLeise 225/800, which both get thoroughly trashed by the reviewers, just as they do the Yate Loon products to a lesser extent. With these biggies air pressure is less important, as that parameter only becomes really useful when pushing air through/around things (water cooler radiators, CPU heatsinks, hard disks, SSDs)
    Seven years ago, the best big fan seemed to be the still available BitFenix Spectre Pro, how does it fare against e.g. a recent big Noctua?
    Brand Type Diameter
    in mm
    Speed
    in rpm
    Noise
    in dB(A)
    Airflow
    in cfm
    cfm/dB Airflow
    in m3/h
    m3h/dB Air pressure
    in mm H2O
    pressure/dB
    BitFenix Spectre Pro
    na
    -
    Noctua NF-A20-PWM

BTW: Gamers Nexus claims a 180mm SilverStone 180mm Air Penetrator beats all 200mm fans in performance...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-18-2020 at 09:04 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast