Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cooling them Hotties

Quote Originally Posted by Jason1478963 View Post
    I'm not sure this would be a good review if your mounting yours in a case as case airflow would change things. This could possibly reduce 2 case fans from your shopping list, but it surely looks like their setup in an open system the corsair wouldn't be worth the extra cost.
    Why so obsessed with placing the radiator inside the casing? You could also place it/them outside:

Cooler Master HAF Stacker
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-31-2015 at 10:14 PM.

The H100 I have doesn't really have enough hose to make this an easy task. It would also require slotting the case to get the hoses outside of the case. On the plus side the fans pushing the air out of the case should be very helpful at keeping the rest of the components cooler.

Those Cooler Master Stacker 935/915 cases have those slots already!

And what would be wrong with a H110 lying on top of e.g. a Carbide 200R/300R with two 140mm top fans blowing from the inside out of the case and two others sucking the hot air out of the radiator on top?
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-18-2014 at 11:21 PM.

That sounds like an option if your hoses are long enough and you can make a hole to pass the waterblock through and notch for the fittings. That may not be that hard, but I didn't think using an old water heater and some copper to make an external heat exchanger was that hard either.

I've been using the I80's and the cases I've been using have 2 slots for fans on top so, it works out great.

Terry/Gatekeeper53

For those who thought that the Noctua NH-D14 was the best: Noctua has brought out a new cooler, the NH-D15
    Hexus Review: Noctua NH-D15 by Parm Mann
    Noctua themselves about the new cooler
    Specs by Noctua

A look at the twin 140mm fan beauty (though as Parm Mann already said: Brown and beige isn't for everyone)

There are hot CPUs and there are 'hot' CPUs, and the renewed battle for more cores between AMD and Intel has brought us some real beauties.

AMD first did a P4-like attempt into giving the Bulldozer-architecture a final kick, GHz-wise, with the FX-9370 and FX-9590. These had a TDP of 220 Watt and needed some real serious (water)cooling.
    Intel i7 CPUs are known to go to a respectable 140 Watt when fitted into Socket 2011 or 2011-3 boards, while Xeon's can get up to 200 Watt (the 20-core Xeon E5-2679 v4) even.

In that light, Threadripper and Epyc are 'cool' CPUs, Threadripper supposedly not reaching higher/hotter than 180 Watt on 16 cores and Epyc doing the same on 32-cores, reaching far higher clock speeds than their Intel counterparts (EK Water Blocks reportedly having a 16-core Threadripper running 4.2 GHz on all 16 cores). Still, it is a lot of heat to transfer into the air. Added problem is that the aftermarket has no standard-of-the-shelf coolers for Sockets TR4 and SP3. But I bet the coolers for Socket 2066 are not that common too, let alone Socket 3647, though the professional server market has their own coolers -not known for silent running.

And behold my surprise when I came across this article, promising an aftermarket cooler for both Socket SP3 and Socket 3647.

Now, this is something new I can't wait to utilize in many things! I hate the noise of bearings making noise. As with the post in Facebook Page - Calyos Fanless

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Fanless? I am a huge fan of fans...fans can't be huge enough, IMHO...
    A nearby fan:
    And when I don't want noise, I take a mobo with onboard CPU and passive cooling, take a fanless PSU, trust upon the onboard graphics and take a SSD.
    Result? Zero dB.
    Costs? About 55 euro for the mobo (ASRock QC5000M), 125 euro for a Seasonic Platinum Series 400 Watt Fanless (80+ Platinum!) and a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (95 euro)
    Grand total: 275 euro and guaranteed noiseless. How much for a Calyos?
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-24-2017 at 01:24 AM.

My only super sized Cooler Master Fan is dying, Amazon Prime to the rescue. Guaranteed Delivery Monday Setp 11th.

All else is in working order, making short visits to get things done then back off till I need to access the internet, I am not dead yet!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast