Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: BOINC Pentathlon 2013

so sorry to hear your install went south. I have had my share of issues with updates on my ubuntu laptop, but never one where I had to wipe the install. I was usually able to find a workaround until they patched the issue. I have moved to Linux Mint as i'm not very happy with the Unity crap. Is it possible for you to change it to login to a GUI with no effects?(gnome classic no effects)

Not anymore it isn't.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Not anymore it isn't.....
    WooHooooo Up another spot today! awe.gif
    Sorry for your loss Dirk, I had the exact same thing happen while updating Ubu 12.04, ended up unrecoverable, so I also switched all my linux boxes over to Mint. To me, it is a lot more user friendly, very similar to the older Ubuntu before unity.

The solution for a messed-up Ubuntu that will not show Icons, Menu or Launcher is -in the end- quite simple:
    • Open a terminal via alt-ctrl-t
    • type ccsm
    • enable unity (again)

It appears that a fresh (re)install can make that Unity gets disabled by default....even an upgrade will do.
    It might have something to do with the use of a proprietary display driver.

Lost my BOINC install in the process as well, but thanks to BAM! I'm up and running again on all previously active projects -sans FreeHAL.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-16-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    I had the exact same thing happen while updating Ubu 12.04, ended up unrecoverable, so I also switched all my linux boxes over to Mint. To me, it is a lot more user friendly, very similar to the older Ubuntu before unity.
    I'm getting to like Xubuntu and Lubuntu -without Unity- more and more, will try to install Lubuntu on my Apple G3 Blue-and-White and run Drezha's benchmark on it. I already have the Lubuntu 12.04 PPC Iso, and the G3 is plugged in and appears to be functioning well on it's ancient OS9

We've just climbed a place with SIMAP, wonder what's keeping the next bulletin where they will will mention their surprise at our advances with Asteroids and SIMAP!
    Just read the German version, but the author of the bulletin seems to use other stats than I do, he thinks we're still at #18, while we've climbed and are at #17 for three days in a row....
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-17-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234