Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benchmarking Help

Benchmarking Help

I'm trying to benchmark a wide range of CPU's for some work I'm doing for some research and wondered if anyone fancied helping me out by running the following benchmark test?

Either method will help me out.

Single Core Test
    First way - download and run the single core model - this allows me to see how each individual core performs on it's own. Easiest way to do this is to download the ZIP file I created here. This downloads the 64 Bit and 32 bit program and the test file with batch files. Just run the batch file for the operating system you have (64 or 32 bit). The test will jump to 100% CPU on one core and take about 5-10 minutes to run. When run, can you send me the bench1.out file and a screen shot of your computer performance from Control Panel (or just send the details of the PC - need Windows OS, amount of RAM, CPU name (exact) and clock speed) to ChrisSalter@hoarelea.com. You can then delete the folder (nothing is installed).

Current time to beat is a mates i7 @ 4.9GHz (!) - completed the test in 144 seconds.

Multi Core Test
    Secondly, if you want to take part in the multicore test, it's a bit more involved and will require the installation of an additional program. This test will use all cores on you machine and will take 30-120 minutes so only undertake this one if you don't mind running your PC at 100% on all cores for this amount of time.

If you know how to run MPI programs and can already, then feel free to do it that way by using the program here. Alternatively, if you have no idea what that means, you need to download Pyrosim.

Download and install Pyrosim from here
    When it starts up, it'll ask for a license - use the code
    Code:
    4F95 D4D9 7A94 4872 4509 04
    to have 30 days free trial.
    Download the Zip file as above

Click the button highlighted in red and select the file scale1.fds
    Click the arrow on the button highlighted in blue and select the Run FDS parallell button and wait for the model to finish.
    Like the single core test, I need the scale1.out file and the PC specs.

I'm sorely interested to see what AMD chips do on it as everyone seems to have Intel these days and I have an inkling that the 8 core AMD chip might actually outperform the flagship Intel based on the method of programming for the mutlicore functionality.

If you want to view the current results, you can view the Google Spreadsheet here.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    I don't know anything about that software. Looks interesting though.
    Honestly I'd use the Phoronix Test Suite for the immense range of tests.
    And compare results with the massive database of results on OpenBenchmarking.org
    Comparing i7's with Llano's -> http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...AR-1112252AR57

I'll give your app a run on the Win7 Phenom II gamer-box tomorrow+++ and see what falls out

+++ make that in a couple of days. It's crunching hard right now. I got carried away for a moment :P
    Last edited by AMDave; 03-20-2013 at 10:36 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Thanks Dave.

The issue that arises is that the software is an odd one - sometimes it runs better single core than multicore and therefore a faster clock speed would benefit.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Hey Chris

Has no one been sending in results the last 2 days? I was hoping to see that spreadsheet grow

I am about to leave work and tonight will get those benchmarks on my machines, and just for fun I will even throw it on the MSI Windpad tablet! (With its "powerful" AMD Z-01 1GHz dual core processor) I might have to leave the multicore test running on it overnight though, something tells me it won't finish between 30 and 120 minutes.

Hi Drezha/Chris,

Most of my AMD systems are running different Ubuntu flavours at the moment, does your benchmarking object to that?

Hello Chris, I just sent test results for an AMD 8150 and a 1090T, I can't wait to see where I stand against the rest!

Click the button highlighted in red and select the file scale1.fds
    Click the arrow on the button highlighted in blue and select the Run FDS parallell button and wait for the model to finish.
    Like the single core test, I need the scale1.out file and the PC specs.

H..E..L..P...I decided to run the multicore test, but I do not see the file " scale1.fds" anywhere in that whole directory, and yes I did change the default to view all files. I downloaded the newest version of the 64 bit Pyrosim.
    Anybody?........................
    Last edited by Ramjet; 03-23-2013 at 05:21 AM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Hi Ramjet

The scale1.fds file is located on that first zip file for the single core benchmark test.

Chris, I'll be uploading the results sometime this afternoon. I have been running the tests with different settings to see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    Hi Ramjet

The scale1.fds file is located on that first zip file for the single core benchmark test.
    Thanks NeoGen,

I found that but wasn't sure you could use the same file for single core and multi-core. Now I'm fighting with the dreaded Win7 permissions settings to get it to run. I'll get it eventually, just don't hold your breath in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Hi Drezha/Chris,

Most of my AMD systems are running different Ubuntu flavours at the moment, does your benchmarking object to that?
    Dirk - The ZIP files are for Windows only, I'll create a shell script and download for the linux one this evening. Multi core would be more of a hassle to run (requires the installation of additional software and some messing about - the hassle I got trying to run Multicore on linux was silly! However, think I've cracked that now.)

Neogen - I've been slowly adding - I've recently moved house and they're taking their time installing my internet. Should be complete by Thursday ಠ_ಠ but in the mean time I've been adding the results at slow periods during work. In comparison to your Windjet tablet, I'm trying to get the code compiled on my Raspberry Pi and get some benchmarks ;) - it's possible (I've seen another guy do it but without internet, I can't download the packages I need!)

Ramjet - No idea why the Windows 7 permissions is coming up, we manage to run it fine here in a corporate environment. Sometimes Windows can be a right PITA!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast