Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Asus Sabertooth 990FX/GEN3 R2.0

Congrats on the new board and I'm looking forward to your review of it. The nice part about the FX8350 is that if you combine it with a MSI 6870 GPU and then in the winter you have the makings of a fine furnace for a 1 bedroom home. It's good that my son Ryan likes to sleep with the windows open. I'm not sure what we'll have come summer. I just hope this place don't end up looking like Pompeii after Vesuvius popped it's top. I think they have to fix the cooling problem before they start to add any more cores.

Reviews on NewEgg are very positive (3x 5 eggs)
    TigerDirect has no reviews yet, nor has Amazon.com

I'll be buying one sooner than I thought. A thunderstorm came through last night and took out 2 motherboards. I HATE springtime! One of them I just put in a couple of days ago and the other is my son's 8350.
    Last edited by Terry1953; 04-19-2013 at 10:39 PM.

I bet you do not have a "bliksemafleider" (Lightning rod) on your roof? 2 motherboards.....I'd be falling in the stats like a brick for months!

Some feel poor grounding can cause a bigger issue for lightning. Then surge equipment and lightning protection will work better if you have a good grounding system.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I have no idea how good or bad the grounding of my house is, but I made sure to plug all my equipment to surge protectors with high joules capacity (>3000). I've been lucky so far that I never had a storm issue but the real test will be when a lightning strikes... then I will find out how good the grounding and the surge protectors are.

BTW... I got the motherboard just this past thursday! Didn't have time Friday to do anything, and today (Saturday) I'm exceptionally working all day too, so it may be tomorrow that I start the assembly and take some pics of the board to show. But the box alone looks very cool!

I am with NeoGen on the surge protectors. But I went one further and place two surge protectors in series so one is plugged into the first one which is plugged into the wall socket. This way if the first one fails the second one has a chance to stop the impending doom. Terry I am in tears for your two lost systems, that was a doozy of a storm last night!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

They were both on surge protecters so I might try the "in series" idea. I just ordered two of these http://www.medicalartspress.com/apc-...SEM_PLA_143649 one for my room and one for Ryan's so that all systems should be safe from now on. I figure they cost less than either board I lost so it's a good investment.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I got one of these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812107131

Got more than enough plugs for both my crunchers, plus the network switch, plus even my phone charger.

The "in series" idea is awesome indeed, I think I got to put that on my budget for this year, to get some secondary power surge protectors. I've read people's complaints in multiple places about power surges frying and taking the connected equipment with it because in that split second between the time the lightning strikes and the varistor of the power surge blows up, it's still enough to pass current to fry the equipment attached, especially if the response time of the power surge is too large. With 2 power surges in-series the second one would catch what the first one let through before dying.
    Last edited by NeoGen; 04-20-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Sounds too much like the Gillette razor blade advertisement: "the second blade will catch what the first didn't"
    Then why did they come up with triple, quad and penta-blades?

"that split second between the time the lightning strikes and the varistor of the power surge blows up": When the split second is 1/10 of the time needed for the power surge you need eleven to be save....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast