Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moo Problems

Moo Problems

Sometime last night I had a problem pop up that I have no idea even what I should be checking for. The machine with the problem is an 8350 cpu with a 6870 gpu with 16 gig ram and all of a sudden it went from around 2000 or 2100 second run time on a WU to 7000 to 8000 run time. Here are two examples on a link if you look at the 5th and 6th entries:
    http://moowrap.net/results.php?hosti...state=0&appid=

As I said I have no idea what to even check for. It was alone and no input to it in any way when it happened. I have it set to no windows updates so that wasn't it. I don't let anything up date I always do those manually in all programs. So, if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

I just checked and the other two 6870's I have running are still putting out a WU every ~2000 seconds.
    Last edited by Terry1953; 04-12-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Terry,

I've seen the same here. Moo! WU's on a Llano/HD 6670 combo normally take around 33 minutes (~2000 seconds), but some can hang out for as long as 3 hours (~10,000 seconds)

What helps is a BOINC version past 7.0.40 (they're now at 7.0.62) and using a app_config.xml file -note that it is not the same as the app_info.xml from before 7.0.40, but has to be placed in the same folder, the project folder-

Code:
    <app_config>
      <app>
      <name>dnetc</name>
        <gpu_versions>
          <gpu_usage>0.50</gpu_usage>
          <cpu_usage>0.15</cpu_usage>
        </gpu_versions>
      </app>
    </app_config>
    note the cpu_usage value I use here, triple that of the 'normal' value

Dirk,

Depending on the size of the WU they all take a fairly set time if nothing is wrong. The size of the file is noted in the wu name.

dnetc_r72_1365477909_12_768_1

The sizes are the bold number if you multiply it by 8 it will give you the points it's worth and give you an idea of how long it should run. On a 6870 the 768 runs about 35 minutes, a 192 runs for under 10 minutes, 800 or 823 adds a minute or 2 to the 35 of a 768. The 192's run on slower cards and seldom show up on my 6870's it mostly gets 800's and up.

The problem I'm having is the huge increase in run times on the same size wu's that ran in 35 minutes or so and now are taking about 2 hours.

I got the same problem on my Xubuntu machine and decided to allote more cpu to the process (0.15 instead of 0.05). This brought processing time down with 66%.

I have no idea what I am doing with Win 7 yet and I guess it's time to learn it. I can't even get to the files I need to to change the config file, but I'll learn shortly and up the cpu to 75% since I don't run anything but Moo anyway. My 6850 has the same problem since I put it in the 3800+ and I have been blaming it on the bios and lack of ram. Now I think it's the same problem as this 6870. The 6870 has had a daily average of about 260,000 and with no change that I know of today it'll be lucky to hit 80,000.

If you need access to the right file(s): In the windows explorer enable seeing the hidden files, go the the C:\ProgramData\Boinc\Projects\moowrap.net folder and edit/make the file using notepad

Thanks! I'll do that. It seems that what ever was causing the problem weny away with the change of day in GMT. The last 2 wu's have run in about 2000 seconds. Don't you love the way computers make our lives easier LOL. I think I will put in the config files anyway and see if I can speed things up a little.

images.jpg

Moo in all it's glory for the last 11 hours!

Weird BOINC server bug causing problems
    It seems transitioner is not transitioning anything since 5h ago so nothing is progressing through our pipe. I've shut down most background tasks to be safe until I can figure out what's going on with BOINC server programs at the moment. Unfortunately, this has to wait until later today.

You don't have to cancel current work units you might have as they will get reported and credited once services are back up. They can even be 1-2 days overdue and still get accepted. However, you might want switch to your backup projects until we have new work ready.

Sorry for the problems and this unexpected extended downtime!
    22 May 2013, 5:22:06 UTC · Comment

My backup project is at the moment Collatz which has an awful credit ratio -and dito processing times- since they switched to OpenCL.
    Well, actually they didn't do that all the way: my OpenCL 1.2 incapable HD 4770 still gets CAL WUs and is able to race through those.
    You should be able to 'switch-off' the OpenCL support on the HD 5xxx and HD 6xxx series in order to get any work done on Collatz....
    The HD 77xx/87xx and higher will not work with CAL, for them the switch to OpenCL pays off.

Edit: Collatz servers seem to be in even greater trouble than Moo!'s, I can at least upload Moo! WUs that are finished, but Collatz seems completely belly-up....
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-23-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast