Thread: White to be the new Black?

White to be the new Black?

There used to be a time that all computer cases had the same color, being named grey by one and beige by the other. These were pretty dull times.

A 'pretty' 486, loaded with CD-RW, 3.5'' drive and 5.25'' drive. It has 32 MB of RAM too. You couldn't get a better 486 than this.

Then black became the next hottest thing since sliced bread, but black being the dominant color for some years set some people thinking of something
    different. And while it is now possible to get a standard Bitfenix Prodigy in more colors than the rainbow itself, most casing suppliers have standardized
    on white as being their second color.

There are white Corsairs, Coolermasters, NZXTs, you name it. But you really know whether a color has caught on when you can buy other hardware in
    that color as well (If I have a white casing I want a bleeping white Blu-ray player as well!)

and it's not just white fans:

Now we just have to wait till Sapphire re-introduces the white motherboard:
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-20-2013 at 12:51 AM.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    That might look pretty ice-cool with some blue neon bouncing off it
    Or even AMD-deadly with some green neon.

PS -
    re the blue-ray, yes, Sony /and Matshita/ provide interchangeable face-plates with /some of/ their models.
    Although I got silver and black for my cases. I'm sure there's white and other colors available.
    It appears you can get white after-sales, like this knock-off: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-flat-B...item1e62ea51f9
    Last edited by AMDave; 07-20-2013 at 12:46 AM. Reason: some of+and Matshita
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

I know that my next cases will be black. I might go and mod some of my relics to look more modern that way too, a trick even IBM didn't feel itself too small for:

A RS/600 Model 43P 150. Got an almost identical machine, a RS/600 Model 43P 140 in grey/beige, looking ancient compared to it's black brother:

Mine's even got a 332Mhz 604E Processor.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 11-01-2015 at 11:55 PM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I think back in the old 486 days there wasn't much of a choice so white was "in", but these days they'll make cases of all colors, sizes, and shapes imaginable.

I never thought about aesthetics before I started seeing different colored cases, and nowadays as I am exposed to all the different possibilities I find myself always choosing black for all my setups.

If I ever win the lottery I might want to build a white system too.
    At the moment I am thinking of building a AM1 system in a white Bitfenix Prodigy and to have all fans with red leds (230mm front fan, two 120mm top fans and a 140mm rear exhaust) to match the color scheme with the colors used on the box of an AMD Athlon 5350:

Another day-dream is a white Fractal Design Define R5 with a white Fractal Design PSU. Might want to place a 360mm Fractal Design S36 Kelvin water cooler too....

If I win the lottery this would be more like my expectations: CRAY I really am tired of lagging behind.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    I really am tired of lagging behind.
    Invest in 2nd hand bitcoin miner equipment! Costs next to nothing, brings millions of cobblestones a day at virtually no costs (e.g. USB U2 Antminers).
    And it takes just a free USB port on your crunching box...
    For $56 you can buy a new U3 Antminer that does 63 GH/s which will bring you 60-65 million credits a day -yes, it sounds just as insane as it actually is.
    But you know what I have bought when my scores really go jumping skywards....

CRAY: price starting at around $500,000 and ranging up to $3 million
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 11-26-2014 at 11:44 PM.