Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Users Team roundup 05-Mar-05

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin

AMD Users Team roundup 05-Mar-05

AMD Users Team roundup 05-Mar-05
    ================================

Before getting on with the summary, we must thank Ototero, Empty_5oul and NeoGen for their work on the stats and targets. The work that they have done is really paying off and is evident in the stats improvements across the board this month. Well done indeed gentlemen.

I'd like to express a particular note of gratitude to Ototero for his continued dedication to providing us with regular stats updates, in spite of some changes which have made it challenging for him to do so. He is doing us a great service and we truly do thank him.

We have also seen a steady growth in the membership in the two last months. It is a pleasure to welcome individuals from UK, USA, Portugal and Sweden.

Hello ("Hej!") to all the new members that have joined recently. Your contribution to the forums and to the projects is most appreciated.

Welcome to the AMD Users Team. :D

We have 581 names in the team lists and at any one time we are seeing about 22% to 25% of those members posting workunits in the projects, so our Active user list is fluctuating between about 130 to 150 users day-to-day.

Here's the latest dashboard snapshot 1-Mar-2005:
    27 projects
    14 rank improved
    05 rank slipped
    08 rank maintained

Of the 8 maintained, 1 project "Lifemapper" has closed and will be moved to the Completed Projects section. Most importantly, the retiring Lifemapper project was the only project on the board that did not get a points increase this month. This comes from serious dedication throughout the project Teams, and I'd like to say "Thanks everyone." We all know how much Ototero loves it when we fill his dashboards with green. :P

I have included the rank changes since last month (xxx) with the project name. Let's begin the run-down...

BOINC-Einstein (improved 4)

The BOINC-Einstein team threw a huge effort into the project in the last month. The total points tripled since the start of February. This month sees the Team push ahead 4 ranks; a mighty effort in the face of some strong opposition. Since my last summary we have welcomed NeoGen to this team and he has provided some strong input to other aspects on the forum. Thanks for your work NeoGen, it's really helping.

BOINC-LHC (slipped 3)

After getting their new servers operational and through testing in November, the LHC project went into its annual hibernation phase. (Be fair, even scientists must have time off). During January and February our LHC team contributed in a big way to many of our other projects. Thanks for the time-share guys. A special mention goes to DMMc who had to rebuild a grid over the period and has thrown down a few gauntlets recently. I for one am not so cocky now. However, whilst the attention was on other projects, we were caught napping last month when the project came back up with a lot of work available and we have slipped 3 ranks. I know the LHC Team will be working hard to patch their machines back into this project to recover from that over the next month. We shall watch with interest.

BOINC-SETI (improved 18)

Truly smashing. The BOINC-Seti stats continue to drive rank improvements onto the dashboard. There's something about these traditional projects that keep our members crunching and it's great to see a line of solid green across the stats page. Still driving a consistent trend. Amazing. Well done again.

BOINC-Climate Prediction (improved 2)

A couple of months ago we started to slip a bit in Climate Prediction, and we asked if a couple of you might consider running a WU or two in CP to bolster the numbers. Well now it is time to say thank you to you as you have helped the CP team stop the fall and this month turned the rank movement back around. This month we see there has been a huge effort in the CP team that took a great deal of focus. Fantastic job guys :!: Keep it up.

BOINC-Predictor (improved 10)

Thankfully, the dedication of Predictor Project techs overcame the hardware difficulties in the last few months. It was great to see Predictor re-join the DC community after some changes that almost put their project into jeopardy. So we must first make a note of thanks to the Predictor scientists and technicians who got their project back on its feet in January:
    Well done to the Predictor staff and Thanks for doing such a great job. :D
    Of course this gave us the opportunity to jump back in. Our predictor Team saw red (pun) since October last year and was determined to take back some of those positions. And how they did, with 9 ranks in January and another 10 in the last month. We are once again in a strong position in Predictor and showing the other Teams there that we mean business. Congratulations to our Predictor Team on an absolute storm :!:

BOINC-Pirates (slipped 1)

The Pirates Team were happy to see the addition of the Pirates project to the dashboard. The project itself has stabilised as their techs got used to the BOINC software and our Team has maintained a top 5 ranking. There is still difficulty in picking up the WU's though as they are intermittent. In spite of quadrupling our points, this intermittent WU delivery has seen another team take rank 4. We hope that as the WU delivery improves, we will see that rank come back next month.

Seventeen or Bust (maintained rank)

Some friendly rivalry and some new membership in SoB has seen the production rate of the project lift to a higher level. Added to this a fresh software client with an improved algorithm and CPU optimisations, SoB is rocketing along like never before. Of course the new client meant that all the other teams have increased their production rates as well. This month the SoB Team maintained rank 13, but we have our eyes on our 6.

Chessbrain (improved 1)

The Chessbrain logins are fixed. That alone is worth a mention. Thanks to the project techs for following that up. We have welcomed a new member to our Chessbrain Team, SlackPawn (nice alias by the way). SlackPawn's input has contributed directly to our rank increase in CB this month and finally pushes us past the "anonymous" users accumulated total. It also means that we have a new project leader, although I believe we can expect some friendly rivalry to ensue at the top here :P So, welcome to the Team SlackPawn and well done to the Team for the new rank.

D2OL (improved 1)

The D2OL Team managed to grind out another 13,000 work units this month. In the last Summary, I tipped things would hot up in D2OL and reminded the team to watch their "6". Well, I know that I lost my Team rank and so did a few others. Welcome to the new D2OL members and thanks to those at the top who continue to drive this project on. This month we threw out the anchor and put hands to the capstan. The D2OL Team took back a rank. Excellent work :!: Cheers to the D2OL Team.

DHEP (maintained rank)

Since snaring rank 5 in December, the DHEP Team have consolidated their position and have held steady. Then it looked for a while like the DHEP project was going to fold. Fortunately for all DHEP contributors, Free-DC saw a way to keep it going and so, thanks to them, we still have DHEP. Of course that doesn’t mean we’re not going to keep trying to catch and overtake you guys :P But, seriously it’s a project with practical outcomes for the real world. A note of thanks to IronBits and Bok of Free-DC for their efforts.

Distributed.net OGR-P2 and RC5-72 (improved 116 and improved 134)

Our move to drive our lower order projects to better than rank#1000 is progressing very well. OGR-P2 is well beyond the mark already and RC5-72 is within sight. Thanks to all of you who took the time to join up or jump back in to get this job done. The Dnet Team have made remarkable progress on these two projects in the last couple of months, and I am very proud of what has been achieved here.

DPAD (maintained rank)

DPAD remains a touch and go prospect. We have been trading rank 19 and 20 frequently with Team [H] in the last few weeks. Thanks to the members who continue to give DPAD some run-time. Last month closed with us in rank#19, but I am sure it depended on what time of the day the stats were captured. We are seeking to revive or recruit Just 1 CPU on this project. That would safeguard rank 19.

eOn (maintained rank)

After donating their time in other projects, the eOn team have come under some serious competition in the last month and have had to push hard in last few weeks. We have a fight on our hands here and even a little help will make a great difference. Thanks to the eOn Team for your efforts.

Folding@Home (slipped 1)

The Folding@Home crew find themselves amidst a number of equally strong teams, all pushing at similar rates. It will not be long before the group of teams closes the gap with more teams ahead whose rates are low. So at the moment the rank increase has slowed and now goes up and down like a yoyo, but it will not be too long before the counter starts ticking over again. This is a dedicated group and they are keeping the rate steady. Good job.

Find A Drug (maintained rank)

The FAD Team are holding rank 42 well. And continue to maintain a sterling production rate. I gave the project a run a little while ago and found it easy to work with and a range of WU types available. Well done to this project Team for the ongoing effort.

Gutenberg (improved 7)

During the Christmas break, a few of us joined Project Gutenberg, the distributed proof-reading project. I had heard of it before and knew that it is saving some of our old texts and stories for our future generations. It is also a constructive way to pass the time and learn simultaneously. So we gave it a go and I got hooked. Unlike other projects we do, this requires human interaction to get it done. (It does help our TKC and WhatPulse stats though) An important note is that there are texts available for proofing in many languages.

UD-Grid (improved 97)

The UD Grid team continue to push rank improvements change almost every day. How is this for a statistic? The UD-Grid rank has improved over 1000 positions in the last 6 months. That's astounding :!:

WC-Grid (slipped 3)

The World Community Grid Team is by far our largest. So many people continue to participate in this project that it is hard to keep track of everyone. In spite of the raw power that is going into this project from the AMD Users team, we have lost a couple of places. It is a credit to the team that this loss is only due to the passing teams being larger & having corporate backing. We will still be there at their backs when they fall ! Great job Team.

Lifemapper (maintained rank)

The Lifemapper project closed suddenly 2 months ago. It was left on the dashboard to ensure that tail end points were picked up. This project will be retired to the completed projects list. Congratulations to the Lifemapper Team on a job well done. 11th place is an excellent place to finish. We hope that you have found some interest in some of the other projects.

Seti@Home Classic (improved 101)

The Seti@Home Classic team welcomed some new member recently. I for one find it tough to lose a Team rank, but there is no better way to concede than when we welcome new members to the group. Welcome to the Team folks, we hope you will enjoy the journey.

TSC (slipped 2)

The TSC team have been doing it tough. Welcome daddygeek ! It is time someone gave our older members a bit of a wakeup call in TSC. Hehe. Unfortunately we have slipped two places in the TSC standing. However, the team have done well to maintain a steady production rate. We are in good stead to build on that and recover those ranks in due time.

Ubero (maintained rank)

In Ubero, the members safeguarded their individual ranks that came under fire a couple of months ago, and have been able to bring some CPUs back to our other projects. And we appreciate that.

Zeta (maintained rank)

The Zeta team are still keeping pace. Good stuff. Persistence will pay off in the end.

TKC and WhatPulse (improved 11 and improved 80)

The TKC and WhatPulse teams must be writing their biographies Just kidding guys. We are still moving very strongly in both of these projects. We'll done to all of you. A timely reminder to take regular eye breaks from your screen.

Other projects of note

Of course, these are just the projects on the dashboard. Our members are still kicking on in at least half a dozen other projects, and we’re always on the lookout for something new. A couple of members have been kicking the tyres on Dimes and BURP to get the low down for us. At this time they are still considered start-ups. Time will quickly tell if they will make it to the mainstream. Marmot (aka the turtle) on the other hand, was proving to be buggy and causing other things to crash on many people’s PCs. All of the members have uninstalled that client, but there was no response from the project about releasing a new version. We’ll continue our wait.

Our Forum Stats

It was not long ago that the forum passed 200 members. Since the Arcade was added the new members signup rate has picked up and we will shortly pass the 300 mark.

It is interesting that from this membership there have been a total of 12797 posts. Of those, 9315 have been made by our Top Ten posters and over 2000 of those were by Beerknurd alone :!:

By far the most popular thread has been “Word Association” which has now amassed a staggering 1061 posts. (I’ll bet that’s brought in a few hits from the search engines.)

AMD Users Arcade

No doubt everyone has noticed that we have games! Thanks to our forum admin spjeff, we an Ultimate V3 ARCADE has been added to the forum. Some of us have been spending altogether too much time in there

For posterity, we should look at who’s champion of what:

24 Hour Rally_______________Beerknurd
    2d_Knockout________________deviant_kine
    3D_Net_Blazer______________AMDave
    7up_Pinball_________________Beerknurd
    ABlast_____________________AMDave
    Ace_Black_Jack_____________AMDave
    Against_War_Super_Mario_____deviant_kine
    Aim_______________________Beerknurd
    Air_Balls___________________NeoGen
    Alien_Booyaf_______________Imortel
    Amazing_Dare_Dozen________Beerknurd
    Autobahn__________________Beerknurd
    Bomberman________________Empty_5oul
    Castle_Defend______________spjeff69
    Curveball__________________deviant_kine
    Donkey_Kong______________Beerknurd
    Flat_Out___________________AMDave
    Frogger____________________NeoGen
    Galaga____________________spjeff69
    Ghost_2000________________NeoGen
    Hulk_Smash________________Imortel
    Jason's_Pong_______________Beerknurd
    KickUps____________________Beerknurd
    MosquitoKill________________deviant_kine
    PacMan____________________NeoGen
    Penguin_Hit________________Beerknurd
    Pigeon_Hunter______________Ototero
    POL_______________________NeoGen
    Popup_Killer________________Beerknurd
    Shootout___________________Beerknurd
    ShortBus_Rampage__________Empty_5oul
    Slingo_____________________Empty_5oul
    Snake_____________________andrewdodd13
    Snipers____________________deviant_kine
    Sonic______________________Empty_5oul
    SpaceShooter_______________Empty_5oul
    Spank_the_Monkey__________Beerknurd
    Star_Fighter________________Keiren
    Target_____________________AMDave
    Tetris______________________NeoGen
    Trampoline_Tricks___________Beerknurd
    UFO_Shoot_________________deviant_kine
    X227______________________Beerknurd
    Yeti_Olympics_______________AMDave

If you haven’t tried the games yet, don’t delay. You never know you may become the Supreme Champion. At the moment that award goes to Beerknurd for having 14 titles to his name. Well done buddy. I hope we are keeping you on your toes.

In Closing

For our Australian members, at home and abroad, we hope you had a great Australia Day holiday and we wish all our members the best for Easter. Drive safely.

Thanks to our admins, our moderators, our team founders, our stats-men , our affiliates and of course to all our members across the globe!

Please remember to click on those ads. They really do help to keep the forum going...and besides, we have found many items of interest on those links.

That concludes this month's roundup.

Thanks to everyone for another cracker of a month!

AMDave
    http://www.amdusers.com
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

One word buddy.... "Wow"

What an excellent summary. You have outdone yourself yet again. We just hope that you had your TKC and WhatPulse agents going.

Thanks again.

Jason

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

very good dave.

Hey, that's a really cool summary!
    My seti@home classic score was added to amd users. My score there is under my real name, Neil Koozer, instead of my alias, SlackPawn. I can't change my profile because that part of the site is always down.

AMDave!
    This was a wery interesting summary and friendly wroten. :!: Thank you for your hard work and deeply commitment for us all!
    LAGU :D

SlackPawn, I can change your name to SlackPawn in my stats if you want.

Dave, Nice summary. Don't be afraid to a little verbose

A wonderful summary my friend. =D< It is a pleasure to be a part of such a group. I hope it will continue to grow. :givemea:

Poser tho....isn't Anzac Day April 25th?

Quote Originally Posted by DMMc
    A wonderful summary my friend. =D< It is a pleasure to be a part of such a group. I hope it will continue to grow. :givemea:

Poser tho....isn't Anzac Day April 25th?
    DMMc! I agree. It´s a wonderful group and the unity is good!
    LAGU

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Ah yes.
    The forward thinking mind plays tricks again.
    What I meant was "Australia Day" 26th Jan.
    I have edited the letter.

Thanks for the pick-up DMMc.
    We didn't pick that up in the proof. :oops:

Thanks to all of you for the feedback.
    I hope you are all taking notes.
    There will be questions
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast