Thread: BOINC priority settings

BOINC priority settings

I've forgotten how to adjust the BOINC priority settings. Need help.

Problem: Have 1 long running task which I want the Win7 PC to work on to completion, added some tasks from another project with the intention that 3 of these would run alongside the long running task. Oh no, BOINC decides to pause my long task and run 4 of the shorter tasks. How do I make BOINC continue running the long task (deadline is 7 days) whilst running 3 short tasks (deadline 2 days) and continue to get further short tasks so the PC is used 100%

I think adjusting the BOINC project priority is the trick I need but I cannot recall how to change this.

The priority is not something we volunteers can handle, this is a task of the 'Boinc Scheduler', an artificial intelligence that makes you want to strangle something close at hand, sometimes/all of the times.
    I'd suspend all but three of the short tasks in order to be sure the long task keeps running and then keep checking manually that the system keeps four running tasks.
    Kinda defeats the purpose of the scheduler, and makes you wonder what 'intelligence' is really about -an interesting question that comes more close to what I was trained to be originally: an experimental psychologist.

We, mere mortals, can only allocate resources. We think that the percentage of resources equals the priority for the BOINC scheduler, but I've come to the conclusion that the algorithm of the scheduler takes far more things into account.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-15-2013 at 07:08 AM.

Thanks for the reply Dirk.

Humph!! to put it politely

So BOINC still has quirks and its a mature beast at release level 7.

I think it would be nice if it let you set it to complete a task then switch to another project rather then switch based on a time slower computers end up having several tasks all half done... Whats the point of that. i also saw a few weeks ago NFS@ set to 99.9% resources put on hold to run several Asteroid@ tasks .01% Priority . i could see it doing that every 1000 WU OR if no more NFS@ tasks were available but that certainly was not the case

I think one way would bet to use the app_config.xml if your just running the two projects. you could limit the project you want running 3 via the app_config so one core would always be open. I believe we need BOINC 7.0.40 or newer for this to work. Its a time consuming option when running on multiple machines and if your switching projects often may not be worth the effort.