Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Asteroids@home News

Ah boy, seems like you get ahead at something a little bit and then something comes along and knocks you back a bit. Sp today's drill is a USB KVM that decided now was the time for it to crap out. And in my drawers of computer stuff alas no kvm resides. And this town has a paucity of kvm switches around. So was a bit of a mad dash to get the producing systems with keyboards and mice. Meanwhile the room looks absolutely trashed and the spouse will have some charming comments to say about that. So other than that minor inconvenience the day seems to be chugging right along. Looks like tomorrow we will move up a spot in the stats. :-)

All my KVM switches are PS/2 and VGA based. Got three of them: a 2-port (found), a 4-port (bought 2nd hand with 3 cables) and a 8-port (bought 2nd hand with 8 cables).
    USB and DVI based KVM switches are expensive, might as well go straight to IP-based KVM switches.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 12-23-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Not a good coupla days here. Woke up this morning to a frozen system, the one I used for surfing, etc., and this system had multiple freezes and bsod's last night. So it's tired. The day has been spent bringing another system on line to replace it. It's was running an Intel MB. Not really a fan of them. May try to get an Asus LGA1155 for the cpu, put linux on it. Will see. Made the mistake of heading out to rge food store for the spouse..... what a total madhouse.

Intel is supposed to go out of business, motherboard-wise that is. We have only one store here in Leiden that sells Intel mobos. Affiliate (the banner that won't show above as it seems stuck at Amazon.com) Newegg still has two for you.
    An ASUS board with either a Z68 or -preferably- a Z77 chipset will give the most bang for your buck, especially when you are into SLI/Crossfire, overclocking, etc.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 12-23-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Thank you Dirk. :-)

As for dealing with KVM switches I have asked my computer dude about his and he has had the same one for nearly 20 years it seems. But he paid nearly $1,000 for it. The better the quality the longer they last it seems. Dirk you are amazing, accuracy in providing information at all times of the day too!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Yup, I have an old Belkin OmniView 4port kvm that I've had for years and years. The usb one only made it a year.... Well so far the asteroids work units seem to be flowing good again!!! :-)
    Last edited by Brucifer; 12-24-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Oopsy - Asteroids Web Site is down, no finished work units are uploading

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011