Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding windows 8 ( tell me something good )

Avoiding windows 8 ( tell me something good )

I don't know about you guys but as a tech ive been avoiding windows 8 at all costs. It reminds me wayyyy too much of vista a pish posh of code forced out into stores just to meet the build release schedule. it seems like it might be nice on a tablet or phone but not worth the price tag. aside from factory restores ive managed to avoid it so far. i am aware of the compatibility improvements and to see some truth to the clams that it runs the AMD a series more efficiently. however the user interface without a touch screen sucks . Ive seen a whole slew of AIO desktops with windows 8 and no touch screen? seems like a waste. I read that the sp for 8 is suppose to reintroduce the desktop as the main screen? I have a Toshiba in the shop now (laptop) that actually has an added app from Toshiba thats only purpose is to help you find the desktop what were they thinking ( Microsoft ) ? now that 8 has been out for awile and 8.1 is around the corner can anyone who has been using 8 tell me something good is this mess getting any better. is it time for me to start ditching 7 ? or should i continue to wait for 9? seems like every other windows flavor is decent. 3.1 was a revolution . 95 and 98se were both good millennium was crap 2000 was a workhorse. xp ...hmmmm after some work xp was great but at first it was the blue screen king of all time. ever heard of MSFS that was the filing system that Microsoft was intending on using for vista back in the longhorn days. they had to abandon it just to jet vista out. you can still find in on SOME of the RCs for longhorn. Longhorn was better than vista by far. if some of you dont know vista was pushed out with over 1000000 bugs to try and hold on to the 64Bit market the SuSe was stealing at alarming rates. if anyone like me jumped on the 64bit wagon as soon as it was available they know there was NO xp64 support from the developers community at the time NONE. when i got my first 64bit chip there was only one wifi card in that had xp64bit driver ....no joke...just one and video drivers were hit and miss for those of us who had the skills to strip inis from driver packs and force install them. vista did give us the 64bit support but us gamers had our own issues with vista. then there is 7 . the first time i saw that animated boot screen it made me smile. even as a new os it was pretty stable mostly because of the RC us techs had been playing with for over a year. that was one smart thing they did releasing it for free in beta by RC2 we had something great going.
    now we get to 8.......hmmmmm I like android ... on my phone my tablet ..... but not on my desktop my 55 inch screen is not a touchscreen and im not sitting in a chair arms reach from it anyway. it seems like another grasp at straws to keep from loosing too many shares to the android market. which again ironically is a linux market. and why i would spend 6 or $700USD on a windows tablet when i can get a nexus for 200 .....well there's no argument there. so my point is has anyone seen a light at the end of the windows 8 tunnel. is there really improvement in the works or more hoopla ?

hahahahahahahahaha im watching the 8.1 release conference i have to say two things this dell desktop replacement is like a 25 in tablet. who the hells gonna carry that around the guy can barley hold it its a big as his arms are. and don't worry you guys they said 8.1 is completely secure from the back bone to the end user. my face is read from laghing with that statement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbUQ6CG6tc4
    Last edited by NerdLifeAMD; 09-09-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    Word Nerds!

I've used so far each and every version of Windows 8 -especially the pre-production versions- and it keeps getting better and more user-friendly.
    I usually click first on the tile that brings me to ye olde desktoppe and BOINC starts automatically, so I have no problems. Just make sure that there's a tile for every application that you make us of.
    I avoid the Win8 apps like the plague though! No way to close that crap other than through the task manager....

That being said, the date that the free Win8 versions expired was exact the same day that I started my adventure with the Buntu family:
    Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu (so far, more versions will be added over time: Kubuntu and Gnubuntu, aka Ubuntu GNOME)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 09-09-2013 at 11:24 PM.

no way to close them hhu ? lol just like android lolololol... i cant find the show desktop tile
    Word Nerds!

It should be a tile that looks like your own desktop (no kidding here)

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I have had my share of playing around with Windows 8 too on my MSI Windpad tablet and I honestly don't like it either. The tablet however came with Windows 7 originally, which (for a tablet) is even worse to work with. I find that Windows 8 on the tablet is much more usable, but still neither one beats a good desktop machine with Windows 7 installed on it.

The apps on Windows 8 should close if you do a full vertical swipe from top to bottom, but the task manager is always a nice way to keep things tidy too. What I can't stand is that when you click "Shutdown" it doesn't really shutdown, but goes into a hibernation mode. You can tell that because if you shutdown and power on again, checking on the task manager will show your uptime still running. The only way I found to completely clear the memory is to reboot. (and then the uptime will be back to zero)

All in all I am still avoiding it too, I have not tried the new version 8.1 (is it out already?), I may just limp along and wait for version 9 whenever it comes out. (next year perhaps?)

Quote Originally Posted by NerdLifeAMD View Post
    no way to close them hhu ? lol just like android lolololol... i cant find the show desktop tile
    When you get one of those apps without a close box, ALT and F4 simultaneously will do the job for you.

I have Win8 on my new lappy and just about the time I think I am getting it figured out, I get lost again either in an app that goes nowhere or can't find what I'm looking for. I still hate it, much rather have Win7, but don't want to buy a second OS just for the laptop. I'm sick of buying a new OS every cpl years because they drop hardware support. When more games become Linux compatible like Steam games have, I will ditch Microcrap forever!

It's funny how things come, take a -seemingly- dominant market position, and go...
    Take DBase III, WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3: all went south when DOS was exchanged for Windows and got followed up by more/other Microcrap: Access, Word and Excel.

When Windows will no longer be the #1 OS by choice -and especially when OEM companies will no longer pre-install it-, a whole new market lies open.

P.S. I should have known, Alt-F4....... (no swiping on my monitor)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 09-12-2013 at 07:15 AM.

I wish I had the money back that I or/the company/Marine Corps spent on teaching me languages that are every bit as dead as Latin.

I run win7 on my crunchers now for asteroids. I use linux for OGR.. They can take win8 and jam it as far as I'm concerned. In all, I look at windows as the biggest virus on the internet...... :-)

I learned under unix years ago predominantly. I like the unix philosophy. Just fix what is broken and don't re-invent the wheel. Sadly, MS goes the r-invent the wheel method as it gives them plenty of excuses to suck more money out of the world, and at the end of the day it's all about money and nothing else. If your local hooker likes you cause you are kind, buy her coffee, a good customer, she'll give you a huss or two, but not M$. Before I retired it made me sick to my stomach to watch all that cash fly out the window playing the constant never ending M$ upgrade game. damn..... now I'm foaming at the mouth again...................................

I tried to get best buy to discount the price of windows off a laptop once i told them as soon as i opend it i was going to format the drive and did not want to pay for windows
    Word Nerds!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast