Thread: Stepping down

Stepping down

Just when I was rising through the ranks and had the top-1000 within grasp, the yearly power bill arrived.

On a yearly basis I use around 3000 Euro's worth of electricity, still 4-4.5 times as much as others in my postal area (still wonder why the drug squad hasn't busted my 'cannabis plantation' to discover only some 30 PCs, six of which running 24/7. This, coupled with my dwindled annual income, has forced me to cut down on the number of running PCs. I had almost caught AMDave with WuProp, but he's save now -for some time.

Things will change of course when I win the lottery or find a good paying job again (preferably both on the same day).
    I will continue to be active on the forum, perhaps even more so (I don't need to keep an eye on the five other PCs anymore).

Now for what combination of hardware I keep running...
    Guess I will run the Ubuntu system for the time being with three extra GPUs -instead of two- and change that later to a FM2 system running three GPUs beside the APU and later still with an FM2+ system doing that.
    Only have to buy a new 3 PCIe slot FM2+ mobo for step 2 -I already have a A10-5700 Trinity running- and a Kaveri for step 3.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 11-14-2013 at 11:44 PM.

I understand your situation completely; the power bills are just awful. Some ba$tard is making a profit at our expense.

Keep positive and searching for that elusive job.

HEY DIRK FARM UP SOME COINS ON THAT RIG read my post you also deserve much appreciation for what you do for us and times are hard . my powers way less then yours and it went down 200 USD when i killed the junk crunchers do you have a lite coin or bit coin wallet ?
    Word Nerds!

I have retired all junk myself long ago and now have come to the point where I consider my Core2 Quad inefficient due to its relatively high tdp and non-crunching IGP.
    It will be replaced, together with the i3-2100, by an Ivy Bridge i7-3770 model (plain, K, T or S) that can handle just as much threads as the C2Q and the i3 together and can crunch on its Intel HD 4000 IGP as well.
    As I can keep using the mobo of the i3, it is just saving for that i7 and after that I am saving on electricity as I am using one system less.

But I am afraid I have to cut into the number of AMD systems too, as I can't afford to keep running all four of them.
    Candidate one to be 'retired' is the A6-3500, having only three cores and the weakest IGP of the four. I have already promised it to my son, so it will be in good hands.

With the prices for electricity and ASIC systems what they are here, I have not gone into bit- or litecoin mining and so have no wallet either.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 11-17-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Know the feeling - that's why I've not crunched for a few years.

Only cruncher now is a server I have with OVH that's £3 a month - it's only an Atom but it's something. I do have an A4 CPU sat on all the time but I'm not sure I want it crunching as it's the media centre/server and I'm concerned it would be noisy.