Thread: FirePro S10000 12GB Edition

FirePro S10000 12GB Edition

For those of us with money to burn: AMD has introduced a new FirePro card with no less than 12 GB of RAM

The RAM is no doubt hidden beneath the huge heatsinks....

That has more RAM than my iMac :/

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    It's interesting that they boast the amount of memory but not really the amount of Stream processors in it, I couldn't find it in the article.

If they don't advertise it I think they don't want it to be known, so it's probably not up to par with the latest Radeon R9's and so forth, which would make this a GPU with a humungous memory capacity but maybe not as much processing power.

Less than the HD 7990 (4096), but more than the R9 290X (2816) (actually the FirePro S10000 has 2x1792=3584)

Only a R9 290XT will have more (in case it is a two R9 290-GPU beast)

Site Admin
    Oh, so it is a pretty powerful GPU to have, with an amazing memory capacity. They should have advertised that in big letters, it's nothing to be shy about.

Well, it will cost more than the $3000 they charge now for the 6GB model (it competes with nVidia's Tesla K20 ($3500), K40 ($5500) and Quadro 6000 ($3500) cards)....
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 11-25-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Site Admin
    Doing a quick lookup both Firepro and K40 have the same amount of memory, but the Firepro will blow the Tesla K40 out of the water in performance

Tesla K40
    4.29 Teraflops single-precision
    1.43 Teraflops double-precision

AMD Firepro S10000
    5.91 Teraflops single-precision
    1.48 Teraflops double-precision

And if it comes out cheaper than NVidia's then it should be a no brainer for companies in need of powerful graphics solutions

The Fire Pro is the alternative that is selected for those hard core Rack arrays that are challenging the norm in Largest Processor arrays by the Laboratories around the globe. I have a contact at Cray now and he tells me that they plan to use this version of the AMD Gpu's if some corporate head would prefer over Tesla units. Although they don't mention that in any publication on their website.

CRAY is a big user of AMD products more then INtel, My contact told me in confidence that the ratio is rather large towards AMD over INtel. You will notice most installs mention AMD. Seems large corps and govt locations prefer the uniqueness of AMD over costly INtel.

The Heat Sinks look funny do to the configuration for placing these units in rack mountable GPU Server blades. Cooling is permitted through the blade and past the GPU units easily cooling these units, no fan is necessary in GPU Blade arrangements BUT; If you desire to place these units in a boxen you should seriously look at large cooling fans. Temps starting at the bottom of these racks enter each rack at nearly 43°F and exit the top of the rack sometimes exceeding 90°F [unless water jackets are used].

The conversations I have had have been remarkable with the tech sales person at Cray. What I am working on is two years away, don't ask me for anymore details!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...