Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Terry, the Gatekeeper

That's really a pretty cool suggestion Dirk! I think anyone that hasn't tried installing one on a gpu is a bit apprehensive about tearing a known good gpu apart. So this way you get to practice on something that is questionable to begin with which eases the mental burden of possibly screwing up a good gpu by trying the water block attachment, etc. :-)

I have to agree with you Terry on the watching someone else get enjoyment comment. I'm slowing down on some things, but I'm also finding that there are interesting challenges and life lessons in the aging process as it seems there are plenty of things to keep the mind occupied. I think too that as you get older, you get more into trying to help the younger ones get as good a head start on things as you can. And the other thing is that your most important commodity is your time. When you look back on things in your life and other people that were involved in it, what you remember most is the time that others spent with you and the fond memories that you now have from that. That is the important stuff in life. :-)

The trouble I have with the WC setup isn't the tearing apart of the cards, (I've had every one I have apart and installed Arctic Silver 5 on them to get them to run cooler) the problem is that you have to "super glue" fins on to the memory chips. I hate to do this and then not have any chips to use if I want to use it on a newer card. I had planned to get a 7970 or 7990 and use it on it.

Terry/Gatekeeper53

Try the Disney solution: Duck Tape instead of super glue.
    Should hold for testing purposes...

They are heat sinks I'm not quite sure how that would work. lol

Terry/Gatekeeper53

First apply thermal grease to the memory chips, then ducktape the heatsinks to the card (leaving room for the WC unit)
    It is only meant to be switched on and POST to see if it's alive

Talk about a power bill check out this guy running Moo. http://moowrap.net/hosts_user.php?userid=3590

Terry/Gatekeeper53

He (JugNut) lives in AUstralia, it might all might be solar-powered and liquid-cooled (I hope for him), otherwise ....

He's definitely got the fever bad!!! lol

He sure does. Unless those are work related in some way. You never know he might run a web hosting site or some such thing.

Terry/Gatekeeper53

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast