Thread: January ✩2014✩ competitions

January ✩2014✩ competitions

It's now 2014, and a new year of crunching for science has begun! What do we do? First the carry-overs from last year:

December 27 to January 02 2014 - End of the Year Blast!
    Another surprize entry, now by the California State U. Fullerton Physics Dept. for a NSF challenge. There's seven of us active here, Terry, Myron, Vaughan, Moops, cyryl, B Johansson and me, and we're still doing catch-as-catch-can with TSBT for #3!

End of the Year Blast! chat and stats page

December 28 2013 to January 04 2014 - "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 1st Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial
    A Rosetta@Home challenge, issued by BOINC.Italy: All you Rosetta crunchers are welcome to join the first Challenge ever issued by BOINC.Italy, our tribute to one of the greatest, contemporary, Italian Scientist Rita Levi-Montalcini. A few words dedicated to her and to the Challenge in our community portal: http://www.boincitaly.org/component/...icle/2737.html Have a nice crunc! Rick! Fourteen members are active here, and the big guns have awakened too: Jason1478963 is on the lead at the moment, followed by team champion Titus and grm1209. If he keeps up this 60K a day pace, Jason will pass several other members during the days left for this challenge...

1st Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial chat and stats page

December 29 2013 to January 05 2014 - Challenge (3) parallel with other challenges WITHOUT USES CPU¶GPU !
    Those ever active Ukrainians -who can speak Spanish so well- have also organized a 3rd WUProp@Home challenge. WUProp is a so-called nci (non computing intensive) application that monitors how WUs of the various projects perform on the various hardware/software platforms. Just set and forget, the application runs alongside others with no perceptible impact on them. This time the challenge really runs parallel with another, so you can see for yourselves. This challenges favors 'farmers' as opposed to 'hunters' (farmers having lots of systems, while hunters thrive on the newest/best hardware. Farmers go broke on their power bill, hunters due to repeatedly having to buy that latest $1000 CPU and that $1000 GPU)

Challenge (3) parallel with other challenges WITHOUT USES CPU¶GPU chat and stats page

December 30 to January 06 2014 - Happy New Crunching Year *<(8-)E
    Just one more Seti challenge for this year then....Thirty-one members active at the moment, and AMD-Stan has taken the lead in this Seti challenge as well. Can cov_route still overtake him in 2014?

Happy New Crunching Year *<(8-)E chat and stats page

January 01 to January 08 - The first challenge of Einstein@home 2014
    Another late team Hammrammstein entry for an Einstein@Home challenge. There's generally more than twenty-five of us active on this project, and last time we had seven members within the top-100 alone, lead by team champion Steve Lux. How will we fare this time?

The first challenge of Einstein@home 2014 chat and stats page

January 01 to January 08 - Hogmanay FM@H Hootanany
    Unfortunately it appears the project is going to be having a dry month or two - so there won't be much (any!) activity for this challenge. Check back in a few weeks though as they are expecting to restart with there next goal in February! BTW: You can follow this project on twitter: https://twitter.com/Fight_Malaria (tweet to @Fight_Malaria)

Hogmanay FM@H Hootanany chat and stats page

January 06 to January 13 - The Three Kings Crunching Week
    The usual Seti@Home challenge, but now organized by ngb:setiteam for a change.

The Three Kings Crunching Week chat and stats page

January 06 to January 13 - Muon1 project challenge
    A quite unusual challenge here, organized by our famous Ukrainian Colombians, for the Muon sub-project of Yoyo@Home.

Muon1 project challenge chat and stats page
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 01-01-2014 at 10:30 AM.

About the Yoyo Muon1 challenge: Other Yoyo projects count too, as I discovered. So: You can help Drezha as well, with crunching OGR! Jason has sprung this wagon as well, and is by now heading for the top-10 in this challenge. Five more members have by now scored too, Muon or otherwise.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 01-12-2014 at 09:52 AM.

FYI..... I found that muon only runs on windows or wine. Tried adding some ecm to run on the linux boxes, but after days of runtime, they appear to be stuck with 98% cpu usage, but haven't progessed one tenth in a day now. I guess at this point, I'm gonna abort and go back to a project that runs.
    Ramjet

Yoyo is not known for having good guesstimates of it's projects!
    They often keep running long after reaching the 100% and sometimes do not seem to make progress at all.

Here's some WuProp data about ECM
    And here about Muon
    And here about OGR
    I'm not ditching my A8-3870K yet....it's doing far better than my A10-5700 at the moment!
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 01-10-2014 at 11:15 AM.

I gave up on the PG Pony Express challenge as the points per day was way too low. When I run my usual PG GPU application I can earn nearly 2M points a day but the Pony challenge saw only 300-500,000. It was hurting my world BOINC rank if I continued. Sorry.

There's just no beating PPS Sieve when it comes to PrimeGrid..