Status, March 2014
First, in reply to a recent query about 2014 workload, thanks to Msssimo: "The majority of the 2014 studies will be devoted to LHC upgrade and the rest to understand the nominal machine. I do not expect any increase in workload when approaching the LHC re-start in 2015, on the other hand, we will all be locked up in the control room and the resources for performing the simulations will be reduced." Second, we have been experiencing major problems with our Windows executables for several months now. There are "small" result differences between Windows and Linux. After extensive testing I believe they are due to the Windows ifort compiler. This will be verified and fixed as soon as I return to CERN next week. In addition new builds of SixTrack for Windows, which now include a call boinc_unzip, are failing on Windows in at least two ways; there is a problem parsing the hardware description (/proc/cpuinfo on Linux) and secondly we get "cannot Create Process" errors. So, we shall first try and build without the hopefully resposible call, and fix the result differences. We can then resume development of the case splitting to smaller WUs and the return of all results. It is great that your support continues and, when required, we have lots of capacity. Saw a new record of over 140,000 WUs in process a couple of weeks ago. Eric.

More...