Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: I need a new AMD system - I need my Team Mates HELP

When you get the new machine up and running and have everything moved over, then taking the old machine to linux may be a good way to learn. That is how a started playing with Linux long ago.

The hardware selection isn't bad. I wouldn't get a seagate for my systems, but everybody has different preferences. The rosewill case will not support a corsair h100i in the top of the case if that is something you need. I did see a 7770 by MSI for 75 dollars after MIR this week. The card may depend on your order time/current deals/budget. I think its missing a dvd drive as well.

I don't need a DVD drive, not any more!

Thanks for the write up Jason, good to know I am not the only one about to find out how well Linux rules the web! I have a few more things happening at this moment so the funding for the new system will have to be later this month!

But I am still pushing to replace the one I have with a NewEgg variant, if not the same one you led me too! Thanks again for the heads up to all this stuff!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

A (BluRay) DVD drive just takes up one 5.25'' drive bay and one SATA port and is not that expensive.

When your system crashes it can be used for e.g. a Linux Live DVD to restore your system and/or data.
    I am personally on the lookout for a SATA Floppy-drive to be able to use programs and/or data on my old floppy disks.
    Once saw one that doubled as cardreader

Here it is 15 days later. I just got off the phone with my Computer Dude. He was adamant that I do not need a super fast GPU, SO I suggested this model: Fire Pro V9100 He said I should have stock in my Electric company before I venture with that kind of horsepower! Maybe my Tech is right maybe I am looking in the wrong direction?

Honestly he is thinking more in the line of onboard GPU [Just found out they call it an APU now] rather then the external type. Which I really have not looked at, But I told him I want the FX-8350 and at least 8 Gig's of Ram per core - that part we understand and agreed on.

I went reading up on the CPU At an offsite for a review and could not find what the on board reference of the GPU is? Anybody?

Oh and we are going to use an ASUS motherboard, my Tech's favorite choice in which they break the least remark matters! This is where an onboard GPU can be provided, so now which one is better. No it won;t have PCIe 3.0 as I noticed it is not a choice to select this option see this link: http://www.asus.com/motherboards/

More suggestions please !!! I am excited we are getting closer ...
    Last edited by Nflight; 04-17-2014 at 02:17 AM. Reason: More stuff added to context

The AMD FirePro W9100 is the proffessional edition of the R9 290X, it is just much more expensive ($3,999) and has better double precision capabilty. Your tech is quite right.

An onboard GPU is called IGP (Internal Graphics Processor) and can be on the board as separate chip (the ancient S3 Virge Chip springs to mind), inside the chipset

AMD 890Gx chipset

or on the CPU (APU)

There is one board that does PCIe 3.0 and will fit a FX 8350: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SAB...990FXGEN3_R20/. Some have it that Asus plays false and that internal speed is just PCIe 2.0 though. It will max out at 4 GB of RAM per core for an octacore though, having no support for 16 GB modules (You'd need 64GB in case of 8GB per core for a FX 8350).

You could follow the advice of your tech and buy a high-end FM2+ mobo, fit it with up to 32GB -for the time being, it will accept future 16GB modules-, a A10 7850K -it will accept future Carrizo APUs- and up to three R7 265 cards.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-17-2014 at 10:44 AM.

My thoughts are for crunching wise you need a good gpu with openCL coming to most projects. This will give you better numbers then any CPU could ever do. An AMD APU would be ok but that scratches the 8350 from the mix. I would get something like a 7770 or 7870 or the 7850 that was 105 dollars the other day. I'm still not sure what similar models are in the R series. I think for crunching you need 3 or 4 pci-e slots for future use as more projects move to GPU crunching.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason1478963 View Post
    My thoughts are for crunching wise you need a good gpu with openCL coming to most projects. This will give you better numbers then any CPU could ever do. An AMD APU would be ok but that scratches the 8350 from the mix. I would get something like a 7770 or 7870 or the 7850 that was 105 dollars the other day. I'm still not sure what similar models are in the R series. I think for crunching you need 3 or 4 pci-e slots for future use as more projects move to GPU crunching.
    Mentioned as a IGP = Integrated Graphic Processor , Just where in the ASUS Motherboard designation does it mention this?

Jason and Dirk Thank You

I like the idea of an external 7870 GPU. But for now just seeing anything come up on my screen is better then nothing. I really do need the capability of the office software more then visually stunning video playback or gaming as I don't do either. I write so much now and research way too much now that my potential to crunch data is waning. I will do that some day in the future but right now my focus really is on securing my income future first then look to crunch with massive GPU arranged Servers. Double precision is critical...

Dirk I like the suggestions on the AMD/ASUS motherboard selections. They are very helpful and I will forward them onto my Techs Doorstep. Like I stated early this machine is more for office work then DCing. I have some better ideas but they are just ideas for when the income begins to roll in I will see about crunching more seriously. Good things come to those who can wait and never lose the passion !!

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    Mentioned as a IGP = Integrated Graphic Processor , Just where in the ASUS Motherboard designation does it mention this?
    Nowhere, that mobo has a AMD 990FX chipset, that chipset has no IGP. The AMD 890GX was the last AMD chipset with an IGP, a Radeon HD 4290.

Know also that the A10 APUs do feature double precision and are more than able to run MS Office (and together with one or more R7s can do a mean bit of crunching!).

Quote Originally Posted by Jason1478963 View Post
    I would get something like a 7770 or 7870 or the 7850 that was 105 dollars the other day. I'm still not sure what similar models are in the R series.
    The HD 7770 had a Cape Verde GPU, the HD 7850 a Pitcairn Pro and the 7870 a Pitcairn XT.
    The R7 260 performs a tiny bit better than a HD 7770 and a tiny bit worse than the HD 7850, the R9 270X performs a itsy meany tiny bit less than the HD 7870 and the R9 270 a bit less.
    The R7 260X is more or less a revamped HD 7790, the R9 280 and 280X are to be compared with the HD 7950 and 7970
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-17-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Nflight I may have an old 4xxx card here you could use until your ready for some real cards. I believe it may be a 4350 or something similar if this would help get a better board for future crunching.

I am looking at a R9 270 for the GPU. I like the fact that I could not use the card at all and would only draw 7 watts. Maximum draw is only 170 Watts under extreme load and the continuous load says its less then 140 watts. IN relation to the older series #'s HD 7870's or 7850 series! Plus its under the $200 amount I could handle with the selection of the GPU. Thanks for the offer there Jason1478963 I do appreciate the offer.

Right now the selection is going with the FX-8350 and that is about all I have come down too!

Quoting from this link: "I was surprised to find that the Radeon R9 270 is not an overclocked Radeon HD 7850, as I expected. Rather, it's essentially a Radeon HD 7870 with a 75 MHz-slower core, 200 MHz-faster GDDR5 memory, a 25 W-lower TDP, and a $180 price tag. " Nice package if I don't say so myself - more buck for the dollar invested!
    Last edited by Nflight; 04-25-2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: More quoting - details on why I selected De GPU

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast