Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: I need a new AMD system - I need my Team Mates HELP

Let me explain my logic here in doing this Dirk. The old way of just letting it work with one GPU and 8 CPU work Units created a void where sometimes the GPU work units would last nearly 2 hours and 40 minutes. This was what I was seeing most of the time, some would actually fall in the realm of 30 or so minutes but most were very long. Then the App_config fix and walla I now have a surplus of ATI work units waiting to be added over to points as it now take no more then 20 minutes per ATI work unit and an average of 16 minutes for each one of them to be completed. Worth 93 points each makes for a happy cruncher! Too bad the work units waiting to be validated are getting cramped but they will start to fall in place and add numerous points to the competition. Woo Hoo

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

I was talking to my Computer dude about a an upgrade to my GPU, should I wait to see what comes out this summer or go ahead and purchase (3) R9 290 X2's ?

You got big plans, GPU-wise?
    Are they all three to go in one system?
    Can your PSU take that much power?
    Can the cooling take the rise in temperature?
    Can your wallet take the KWh?
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-27-2015 at 07:20 AM.

After six years I am refurbishing my existing computers needs like a new Power Supply, and I am replacing my existing 6 fans with replacements, all are less then optimal cooling effectiveness. I also got a new toy, a new GPU... so things are looking up to lasting another several years if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    After six years I am refurbishing my existing computers needs like a new Power Supply, and I am replacing my existing 6 fans with replacements, all are less then optimal cooling effectiveness. I also got a new toy, a new GPU... so things are looking up to lasting another several years if needed.
    140mm fans - You still can't go wrong with Noctua. Remember: bigger fans displace more air than smaller fans at the same rpm, and are quieter than smaller fans at the same rpm (rounds per minute).
    700-750 Watt PSUs - Same with Corsair / Seasonic. Go for gold -at least. Try platinum or titanium certification if the budget allows it.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 10-08-2020 at 11:32 PM.

Agree with Dirk's advice. Cooling is very important. I always buy Noctua fans and recently their CPU coolers. Went thought a phase of buying Corsair Hydro series water coolers but had a disaster where one leaked after a few years of continuous usage. It took out 2 GTX970 GPUs and a motherboard. No water for me now

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Agree with Dirk's advice. Cooling is very important. I always buy Noctua fans and recently their CPU coolers. Went thought a phase of buying Corsair Hydro series water coolers but had a disaster where one leaked after a few years of continuous usage. It took out 2 GTX970 GPUs and a motherboard. No water for me now
    sorry to hear about the corsair leaking on your equipment. I have several of those and hope they don't fail taking out equipment like that. Where did it start leaking?

Radiator sprung a leak and it was at the top of the case so the fluid leaked over most everything.

I do appreciate the replies gentlemen. I have acquired a 1200 Watt PSU from Corsair, it is installed, I also got that GTX-1660 which is OC'd installed and working.. The fans are the problem, I was sourcing all fans from Best Buy but they did not fit and now I am dealing with NewEgg for my Noctua fans, I need the right connector fitting before I order them. Volume of air moving through to cool my system is critical. High volume of air is important for 4 fans, two take care of the water block on the CPU, and the other two need to push the air through the system to cool of my very hot VRAM dealing with Universe. Thank you gentlemen for all your insight...

Seems my 8 week old power supply blew up, now waiting on a replacement. Possibly two more weeks till my return, CIAO

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast