Thread: May 2014 Competitions

Smile May 2014 Competitions

April has gone, May has arrived. What to do besides the BOINC Pentathlon, the only challenge that has a mythical 5-core AMD CPU as namesake?

May 02 to May 09 - Challenge (5) parallel with other challenges (Without using either CPU or GPU)
    Another WUProp@Home from our Ukrainian friends form Colombia. WuProp is a so-called NCI project, Non-CPU intensive.
    I uses just a tiny bit of CPU and can be run along other CPU and GPU projects with hardly any impact, if any at all.

Challenge (5) parallel with other challenges chat and stats page

May 03 to May 04 - [Twenty Four 019] World Press Day Crunch
    Nineteenth edition of the serie of challenges between teams [Twenty Four] issued by the french team BRIGADE DU COSMOS. [Twenty Four] serie of challenges aims to celebrate an important day of the year. 24 hours of intense crunch tribute to this day ! Just a single quote to sum up this [Twenty Four] : "Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference, and impart information and ideas through any media regardless of frontiers" (Universal Declaration of Human Rights). Let us fight eternally so that the Freedom of the Press continues... Happy crunching to everyone !

World Press Day Crunch chat and stats page

May 05 to May 19 - 5th BOINC Pentathlon
    Welcome to the fifth edition of the competition inspired by the Pentathlon in ancient Greece. SETI.Germany warmly invites all BOINC teams to participate. The most important facts are listed below:
    5 disciplines, 1 winner. We start with the Marathon: theSkyNet POGS Start: 05/05/2014, 0:00 UTC End: 05/19/2014, 0:00 UTC

Stats page
    Our team page for the Pentathlon
    Daily bulletin
    Challenge shoutbox

May 17 to May 24 - SETI@home 15th Anniversary Celebration
    Time sure flies, I can remember that day in 1999 when an IBM collegue of mine askee whether I would join the IBM's Space Boarding subteam...
    Later -work with IBM had ended- I crunched for my agency, Ctg, and after that I joined our team.

SETI@home 15th Anniversary Celebration chat and stats page

May 23 to May 30 - first week of celebrating CERN's 60 years of science for peace
    A LHC Test4Theory@Home challenge, issued by CERN themselves it seems. It is the first ever, AFAIK

first week of celebrating CERN's 60 years of science for peace chat and stats page

May 27 to May 28 - [Twenty Four 020] Calvinist Protestant Crunch
    Twentieth edition of the serie of challenges between teams [Twenty Four] issued by the french team BRIGADE DU COSMOS. [Twenty Four] serie of challenges aims to celebrate an important day of the year. 24 hours of intense crunch tribute to this day ! This [TWENTY FOUR 020] is a tribute to the famous french theologian Jean Calvin (1509-1564), who, with Martin Luther (1483-1546), were the initiators of the Protestant Reformation and the founding Fathers of Protestantism. Today, we count more than 800.000 million christians of protestant obedience in the World. Jean Calvin was at the origin of the protestant form called the "Calvinism". On may 27th, 2014, it will make 450 years that Jean Calvin will have disappeared : he would certainly be stunned to see the world craze for the Protestantism today. Happy crunching to all !

World Press Day Crunch chat and stats page
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-30-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Good morning,

i want to help with the Pentathlon.... but i havn't follow it yet. Is is correct to crunch Collatz 07.-10.05. and SkyNet 05.-19.05. ?
    Can i start the project earlier or must i start at a special time ( as PG challenges ) ?
    Greetz,
    Chris

Pending results do not count, as per Seti Germany webpage: "Please note that pending credits cannot be taken into account!",
    so that means that starting POGS and/or Collatz before the dates of the Pentathlon might be oke, but uploading before the dates of the Pentathlon does not count. Better suspend them at 99%
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-02-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Six members active at this very moment on the SkyNet POGS, and we're at #26. Pentathlon-wise, so we need at least six places higher in order to score any points at all. POGS is very generous when it comes to rewards/trophies: I've scored 105 of them myself -4 during this challenge. The signature below only shows the best 12. If you want badges, stinking or not, POGS is the place to go....
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-23-2014 at 07:55 PM.

I have a couple of machines on Pogs but the remainder are stuck at 50+ hours on BOINC@Fit
    Plan to switch over as soon as those tasks finish.
    Pharm in Sydney is still being re-built, have patience my friends

Doing good in the Pentathlon, gaining a place every two days on average:

Looks like Enigma@Home is an enigma for the team and is left to B Johansson and me....

Looks like POEM has no work so we can commit all effort to either POGS or Enigma (or both, as B Johansson and me are doing)

We've just lost two places in the Pentathlon, not enough effort with POEM and Enigma it seems. I just can't get any POEM here and I'm cranking out Enigma like there's no tomorrow, so don't point at me....

Like the organizer's daily updater Jeeper said: "It is almost impossible for AMD Users (#23) to advance but there are plenty of chances to slip back". We slipped two places.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-16-2014 at 11:38 PM.