Thread: CERN experiments report new #Higgs boson measurements:

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin

CERN experiments report new #Higgs boson measurements:

Posted by Cian O'Luanaigh on 23 Jun 2014. Last updated 23 Jun 2014, 10.17.

In a paper published in the journal Nature Physics today, the CMS experiment at CERN reports new results on an important property of the Higgs particle, whose discovery was announced by the ATLAS and CMS experiments on 4 July 2012. The CMS result follows preliminary results from both experiments, which both reported strong evidence for the fermionic decay late in 2013.
    The Higgs boson is associated with a mechanism first put forward in 1964 by Robert Brout, François Englert and Peter Higgs to account for the different ranges of two fundamental forces of nature. Now referred to as BEH, this mechanism is postulated to give rise to the masses of all the fundamental particles. In order to test that idea fully, it is necessary to measure the direct decay of the Higgs boson into all kinds of particles.
    When the Higgs boson discovery was announced in 2012, it was based on measurements of the decay of the Higgs to other bosons, the carriers of nature’s forces. The results reported by ATLAS and CMS discuss the decay of Higgs bosons directly to fermions, the particles that make up matter.
    The measurements from both have given substantial evidence that the Higgs boson decays directly to fermions at a rate consistent with that predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics, the theory that accounts for the fundamental particles of visible matter and the interactions that work between them, giving structure to matter.
    "With our on-going analyses, we are really starting to understand the BEH mechanism in depth," says CMS spokesperson Tiziano Camporesi. "So far, it is behaving exactly as predicted by theory."
    "These results show the power of the detectors in allowing us to do precision Higgs physics," says ATLAS spokesperson Dave Charlton. "We’re coming close to achieving all we can on the Higgs analysis with run 1 data, and are all looking forward to new data when the LHC restarts in 2015."
    The Large Hadron Collider, CERN’s flagship research facility, has been off-line for maintenance and upgrading in last 18 months. Preparations are now underway for it to restart early in 2015.
    More information will be available as results are announced at the International Conference on High Energy PhysicsExternal Links icon, ICHEP, which starts in Valencia, Spain, on 2 July.

Read in full - with clickable links to papers and notes
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Atlas Work Units have settled into normalcy already. Run ~ 1 hr 12 minutes each, low energy draw and no locking the machine up... Even the web site is responding quicker then before. Possibly even a dedicated Admin is on the ball now.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    Atlas Work Units have settled into normalcy already. Run ~ 1 hr 12 minutes each, low energy draw and no locking the machine up... Even the web site is responding quicker then before. Possibly even a dedicated Admin is on the ball now.
    46 hours and counting for my first WU. Aborted all others when it kept running after 100% had been reached.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    cancel it. It's dead, Jim.
    There are still some that fail to end due to bad config/data.
    If it goes over 3 hours kill it - based on current compute times.
    Completion times are currently between 7000 and 9000 seconds, the latter being 2.5 hrs.

If you are getting this outcome with all of your Atlas wu's then you have either -
    1) BOINC manager version too low
    2) Incompatibility between the VBox version and BOINC version
    The best solution is to make sure you have installed the latest "recommended" BOINC-with-VBox version:
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php

If you have already satisified these criteria, then you can still get this issue with the occasional WU but it should not happen very often.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

I blame it on the -Intel G41- chipset of the mobo.

My A10-5700 just has completed one in a bit over 9000 secs. (AMD A85X chipset), my i3-2100 tries to do four at once (Intel Z77 chipset).
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-30-2014 at 09:00 PM.