Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ASICs and BOINC

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Oh yeah. That was definitely cool.
    I'd give you a high-five but I might spill me ale ;)
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Don't be going spilling yer grog mate Pirates have walked the plank for less .....

Dropped off some more credit. Time to nip off home as TSBT is going to push for top 10. Once we make it, or you guys are under threat, then , if you guys want, I will be back to help out some more. Happy crunching. Dirk, don't be a stranger. You know where we are

Look's like you should be past Russia soon to take #28

Quote Originally Posted by alez [ TSBT Pirate ] View Post
    Look's like you should be past Russia soon to take #28
    Hi Alez! That miner hardware sure beats everything! My 5 euro block erupter already brought me 13 million credits. Time for a 2.2 to 5 Gh/s bitfury stick, saw them for 20 euro's...
    You must be able to push our BU total over 10 Billion tomorrow (Tuesday), our team's first for that mark.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 10-06-2014 at 01:17 AM.

I can push you guys over that mark as long as I am not stepping on anybodies toes by doing so. Take a look at the rockminer R boxes ( either 32GH/s or 100GH/s ) Far more bang for your buck at not a massively increase in price. I had some 5GH/s bitfurys which I have since sold on. If you get one or more I would recommend that you get a usb fan or put then in the airflow of something else as even at stock speed they get hot ( painful to the touch hot )

I'm rather impressed by the low energy requirements of the USB-miners, as my power bill is usually 400% of that of my neighbours.
    The USB thingies can be stuck in any BOINC device and take away the need for 150 Watt+ GPUs. Now for USB ASICs that can do other projects....

Don't think we will ever see a BOINC project specific ASIC. Too expensive for a project to design and manufacture. However an app that runs on a FPGA device , that is more than possible. If a project were to take the plunge and develop then you know there are some of us that are dumb enough to buy FGPA's to run it

I think it will be the other way around: some volunteer will develop an FPGA application for a project other than BU (and will kick the s**t out the scores for that project, and will have a LOT of explaining to do -e.g.: no, he is not cheating, etc.)

It is the nature of the beast. Mostly everyone claims it's all about the science, but hell, we're human it's about the points and the positions, anything less is lying to ourselves. By the way that's your team benchmark achieved. Congratulations. You'll also move up another 2 places on the leader board by the morning, maybe more ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast