Thread: App_Config and other BOINC Extensions that are configurable by USERS

App_Config and other BOINC Extensions that are configurable by USERS

This is where we should discuss the changes we need to make for each of the BOINC Projects which hinder super high points values compared to other BOINC Project users online. Here we should be able to share the distinct values and scripts that should give AMD Users an advantage !

For instance we are currently discussing the Issue of an embedded XML script that is placed into the active project folder of a desired project you wish to either drive your GPU to its utter maximum potential or potentially allow your system to operate efficiently so that if you have dual uses for your cruncher you can do two things simultaneously and not interrupt the other.

Please read below for the newest scripts to enhance your BOINC Project get its wiiings !

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Client app configuration (from http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/ClientAppConfig)

This describes a new feature that will allow volunteers to adjust application scheduling parameters.

Note: this is separate from the anonymous platform mechanism.

A volunteer can configure a project's apps by putting a file app_config.xml in the project's directory. This file has the following form:
    Code:
    <app_config>
       <app>
          <name>name</name>
          <max_concurrent>N</max_concurrent>
          <gpu_versions>
              <gpu_usage>.25</gpu_usage>
              <cpu_usage>.1</cpu_usage>
          </gpu_versions>
       </app>
    </app_config>
    <name>: the short name of an application.

<max_concurrent>: a limit on the number of concurrent jobs for that application.

<gpu_versions>: the <gpu_usage> and <cpu_usage> elements specify the number of device instances used by GPU app versions. Note: there is no provision for specifying this per GPU type or per device.

Note2: The placement of the app_config.xml is in its respective project folder, e.g. for WorldCommunityGrid it goes into .\projects\www.worldcommunitygrid.org

I want to configure one for Prime Grid, any suggestions Dirk? I think I may have found it reluctantly... Everything you would need for the App_config.xml file for PrimeGrid. Now to work the construct out so the next project I work can work while I work in the background.

If it is credits you're after: just install as much Kepler GK208 based GT 630's as your motherboard will support
    and hold on the Genefer tasks (as in don't run them), the SOBs and other too long running beasties.
    If it is badges, just select one project at a time in your project's preferences page until you've collected them all. Can be quite a quest.
    I run PrimeGrid without app_config.xml and have never had problems running the CPU apps on all my cores, I think the posted app_config.xml is overshooting the marks.

Take care: there are also Fermi based GT630s and Kepler GK108 based GT 630s of much lower performance.
    The one with the GK208 chip has twice the performance and is dirt cheap in both purchase and running costs.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-23-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Here is a working App_config.xml for Seti

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>astropulse_v6</name>
    <max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>1</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>1</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    <app>
    <name>setiathome_enhanced</name>
    <max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>1</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>1</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app_config>

I must say I am really impressed with this my GPU is rocking the outcome of pretty much almost twice the output in points per day.

Here is a working App_config.xml for Einstein:

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>einsteinbinary_BRP4G</name>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>1</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>1</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    <app>
    <name>hsgamma_FGRP3</name>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>1</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>1</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>

Without the App_config installed 1 WU took nearly an hour, now I am definitely under an hour with the average near 45 minutes each.