October again! My home town celebrates the good outcome -for them- of the 1574 siege by the Spaniards. Leftovers, still to be enjoyed: Herring with white bread and Hutspot! Oh, and we got a University for it too.
Challenge-wise we've got this far:

October 04 to October 09 - World Animal Day Challenge
A 5 day Challenge is being offered on PrimeGrid's The Riesel Problem (LLR) application. To participate in the Challenge, please select only the The Riesel Problem (LLR) project in your PrimeGrid preferences section. The challenge will begin 4 October 2014 18:00 UTC and end 9 October 2014 18:00 UTC. Application builds are available for Linux , Windows and MacIntel 32 bit and 64 bit. CPU's with AVX capabilities will be significantly faster than the ones without, as this instruction set allows for more computing power.
ATTENTION: The primality program LLR is CPU intensive; so, it is vital to have a stable system with good cooling. It does not tolerate "even the slightest of errors." Please see this post for more details on how you can "stress test" your computer. WU's will take ~6 hours on fast/newer computers and 12+ hours on slower/older computers. If your computer is highly overclocked, please consider "stress testing" it. Sieving is an excellent alternative for computers that are not able to LLR. Please, please, please make sure your machines are up to the task.

PrimeGrid's World Animal Day Challenge forum page

October 10 to October 14 - CRUNCHATHLON GPUGRID [MONTHLY RUN - RACE II]
For the GPU heavies: Crunchers sans frontieres has a GPUGrid challenge. Used to be -and AFAIK still is- nVidia only, Double Precision -despite what I said earlier- is no prerequisite (but when your nVidia card DOES have double precision in a usable amount it is bound to have very good Single Precision capability -the last Maxwell chips have DP at 1/32(!) of the SP performance...). My GTX 650 just does not cut it though...My GTX 260 did, before it died.

CRUNCHATHLON GPUGRID chat and stats page

October 11 to October 16 - The Moon*Shine Challenge
Those of us with 'normal' GPUs (or CPUs/APUs even) can opt for the Moon*Shine Challenge, as Sicituradastra wants to set AriZonaMoon* in the light by crunching Einstein@Home for her.

The Moon*Shine Challenge chat and stats page

October 20 to October 27 - Gerasim@Home october challenge
Has there ever been a Gerasim challenge before? (YES!) The name suggest something on a regular base...Organized by the jolly Colombians out of the Ukraine, this is their second -the first was in June of this year.

Gerasim@Home october challenge chat and stats page