Thread: Stuff

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stuff

So I recently decided to get back into the prime searching game after several years away from it. Participating in the current effort of the Sophie Germain LLR effort. That got me into reading on the PG message board reading a bit. Up came the discussion about double checking now being pretty much all project wide, with the reason I gather being that the latest Intel SkyLake chip having a noticeable error rate compared to previous chips and AMD's. Further reading also hinting at memory issues, fast vs slower, blah blah. So I went out yesterday and purchased an i7-6700 3.4ghz cpu with 2 sticks of 8g DDR4-2133mhz memory. MB is an Asus B150M-C. Put it together with a black label WD 7200 500g HD with win10 home-64. Ran through some sieve files to see if it was working okay and then attached it to the Sophie project. It's made it through (knock-on-wood) it's first 24 hours crunching and so far no errors. And them another guy was going on about he wasn't getting errors but he wasn't running the very large memory intensive LLR units. So his theory is that as long as the project isn't exceeding the cpu cache limits that the skylakes won't have errors more than any other cpu..... That sounds much more reasonable to me. There's issues on which memory you can run, and the another person was commenting on an issue with fast memory ie DDR4 with Asus m/b's. So anyway there it is..... I may get another cpu to also mess with regarding this issue. Maybe even a 6700k, but the prices start rising with them plus Intel doesn't include a cooling solution with the chip so that increases the chip price too. So any thoughts or words of wisdom from anyone that has read up on the error issues and prime grid initiating double checks on everything because of the SkyLakes??
    Last edited by Brucifer; 09-21-2016 at 11:26 PM.