Thread: New GPU UP and Running - Hopefully a good deal

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New GPU UP and Running - Hopefully a good deal

So I was at the computer store today looking for a simple notebook computer memory upgrade. While I was in the build your own PC section I decided I needed to stroll through the video card isle since I had gotten an email about some sales and i have been itching for a GPU upgrade. I came across a card that I ended up snagging for $79 USD. Hopefully it ended up being a good deal. It is the Gigabyte Radeon RX460 with 2GB DDR5.

Apparently the AMD website does not like you trying to download the AMDGPU Driver directly to your Ubuntu box. It was only about half as large as it was suppose to be and would not extract. I had to download to my mac first and then send the tar file over to my Ubuntu box. At least I got it up and working, and it is playing nice with my other card as well which I had to demote to my PICEX4 slot so I could put the more powerful card in the x16 slot on my motherboard. So far it is whisper quite and I had to use a flashlight to make sure it was actually getting power to the fans on the card. (Hurt too many fingers checking without a flashlight).

The GFLOPS that my BOINC manager says it will get seem pretty good as well '2172 GFLOPS peak', not sure if those are super accurate or just a generalized average. Ready for some GPU crunching now. I like the Moo! tasks because they seem to only use 0.25 of the CPU and I can get the maximum number of WUs going at one time on CPU and GPU.
    Last edited by Tweeder; 05-22-2017 at 08:38 PM. Reason: able to download newest AMDGPU version