Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I was promoted!

Any news on NeoGen's EPYC server build?

Around here the boards are finally hitting the stores -some people had bought their EPYC CPUs months before...Ten are mentioned, while five are actually on sale.
    Cheapest here is the single-socket SuperMicro Supermicro H11SSL-i, which has an additional advantage in being of standard ATX size.
    If you want a dual socket board, the cheapest choice over here is the SuperMicro Supermicro H11DSi which has an additional advantage in being of the almost standard EATX size. Handy if you already have an EATX casing
    Gigabyte, which was the first tier 1 supplier with a SP3 board, stands out in not having a single M.2 connector aboard and by asking dual socket prices (600 Euro's) for a single socket board.

The EPYCs themselves are pretty stable, price-wise. The cheapest -but who wants an 8-core EPYC?- at roughly 500 Euro's, the most expensive 32-core at a little over 4,000 Euro's.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    No EPYC yet, I'm still putting funds aside for the project and looking at what's out there and available. I was hoping more brands would come out with motherboards but they're very rare still, Supermicro has the best ones that I have seen.
    As much as I'd like a full 2P system the cost may be way out there, so I'm leaning towards the H11SSL-i.
    This bad boy will deserve to be in a rack mount case and over time fill it up with GPUs, the cases from the cryptocurrency mining community are very attractive, this one can take 6 or 8 GPUs, and 2 Power Supplies to feed them. Question will be if my electrical circuits at home can take that kind of load or if I have to plug each one in a different circuit.
    Regarding the CPU probably the cheapest 8-core should do well to start with, and maybe a few years down the road I can pick up a used 16 or 32 core on ebay at a much cheaper price than nowadays and upgrade it.

Seen the posting on our facebook page? There will be embedded EPYCs too, plus likewise Ryzen boards.
    Might be more affordable, both on purchase and on running.

Serve the Home had a piece discussing the new embedded EPYC 3000 and v1000, it said the Intel Xeon D series had better watch out as the EPYCs look brilliant.

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epy...ch-out-xeon-d/

I hope Asrock will bring out iTX boards equipped with the V1605B to replace my AM1 systems
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 02-25-2018 at 08:23 AM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Seen the posting on our facebook page? There will be embedded EPYCs too, plus likewise Ryzen boards.
    Might be more affordable, both on purchase and on running.
    I don't have Facebook so it doesn't let me see it, asks to login to Facebook to view the post you linked.
    BUt I have seen something on the news about embedded EPYCs, have to look into it a little more, but as far as I remember they had cut down on the PCIe and memorey lanes wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    I don't have Facebook so it doesn't let me see it, asks to login to Facebook to view the post you linked.
    BUt I have seen something on the news about embedded EPYCs, have to look into it a little more, but as far as I remember they had cut down on the PCIe and memorey lanes wasn't it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12