Thread: Einstein@home: News

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin

Einstein@home: News

GDPR: don't lose your credit statistics!
    Hi everyone,
    glad this news item's subject line grabbed your attention* If you care about your credit statistics at external BOINC statistics sites like BOINCstats.com you want to quickly read the following post (and its thread): https://einsteinathome.org/goto/comment/168176
    Please leave your comments and questions over there as well as this post was just meant as an additional heads-up.
    Cheers,
    Oliver

More...

Site Admin
    The GDPR legal requirement has been set in place. This is fact and non-arguable.
    Whilst the right reasons are behind the legislation., the legislators failed to adequately define the scope of their legislation resulting in unnecessary bureaucracy as usual - by its very definition - in unintended areas.
    Sadly, the fact is, that many lawyers developing legislation are not subject to the legislative effects that they are producing so this is not a new surprise.

I have reservations regarding the BOINC / DC community's interpretation and implementation of GDPR - which is largely driven by legal advice without sufficient contest.
    If PII is involved then go for it, but to extend these restrictions into voluntary community involvement where contributors have already made the choice to share (already restricted) information, simply irritates and aggravates and restricts the beneficial effects that that the community and the scientists aimed to produce.
    Regardless of whether you agree with me or not ... you need to update your settings if you wish your stats to continue to be shared and to support the distributed community and the competitive ethic that drives it.

Please read this thread;
    https://einsteinathome.org/content/g...comment-168176

and then update your Privacy Setting as per SHAWN KWANG's post according to your preference:
    https://einsteinathome.org/goto/comment/168176

10 Dec 2018 15:48:18 UTC MESSAGE 168176 QUOTE
    I want to remind people that in one week, our stats exports will change and honor the option Do you consent to exporting your data to BOINC statistics aggregation Web sites?

If you want to have your stats exported, and have not changed this setting, to YES, please do so in Account -> Preferences -> Privacy. Also, I have been informed that at the BOINCstats Web site, your user history may be lost if you do not consent to he stats exports before we update our systems on 2018 Dec 17th. If this is something you care about (BOINCstats history), please change your privacy preferences.

Einstein@Home Project
    Keep Crunching!
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Thanks for the heads-up: the default value is 'No', meaning your stats won't get exported.

And perhaps worthy to know that the same applies for Albert@Home, as I discovered at the BOINCStats daily consolidation......

Site Admin
    Aye. Thanks for the reminder. I just updated my settings on Albert also.
    . . . . . ___

According to BOINCStats, our team at Albert@Home now has two members, AMDave and me -just because we have set our preferences at https://albertathome.org/account/prefs/privacy to 'Yes'

This means work to do for: B Johansson; vaughan; lazykiller; Euphoriabuzz; Clifton Peele; MiHost; Nflight; sentient_life; Liuqyn; MLaferriere; NeoGen; kle and LeonardoXIV
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 12-12-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Site Admin
    Oh YEAH. I have second place! Long time since that has happened. HAHAHA

I know this is pure bureaucracy - process that does not support the outcome - but we really need to get the house back in order.
    I really should not have team rank 2 for long.
    Come on in team and re-claim your rightful ranks.
    . . . . . ___

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Got mine updated!

I wonder how long until the rest of the projects catch on... I'm not looking forward to logging in to 100 other projects to have to do the same steps over and over and over...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    According to BOINCStats, our team at Albert@Home now has two members, AMDave and me -just because we have set our preferences at https://albertathome.org/account/prefs/privacy to 'Yes'

This means work to do for: B Johansson; vaughan; lazykiller; Euphoriabuzz; Clifton Peele; MiHost; Nflight; sentient_life; Liuqyn; MLaferriere; NeoGen; kle and LeonardoXIV
    We're now with four, so still work to do for: B Johansson; lazykiller; Euphoriabuzz; Clifton Peele; MiHost; Nflight; sentient_life; Liuqyn; MLaferriere; kle and LeonardoXIV