Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Benchmarking Help

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Hi Drezha/Chris,

Most of my AMD systems are running different Ubuntu flavours at the moment, does your benchmarking object to that?
    Dirk - Uploaded the Linux version here. It assumes you're running a 64 bit distro.

The shell script should run the single core and then move onto the multicore.
    Shell script is:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# FDS Benchmarking - Scripts for Linux

# Make program executable
    chmod +x ./fds5_linux_64
    chmod +x ./fds5_mpi_linux_64

# Run FDS Single Core Benchmark
    fds5_linux_64 bench1.fds

# Multicore Benchmark

# Install MPI Runtime
    sudo apt-get install lam-runtime

# Start MPI
    lamboot

# Run
    mpirun -n 8 fds5_mpi_linux_64 Scale1.fds

If you don't want to run multicore, just delete the Multicore lines. You might want to play around with the -n flag and change it to match the number of cores you have on the machine. I also can't guarantee that the lam-runtime will work - it seemed to in an old test I ran on linux but I think it's a bit dated now.

Linux is an area I need to play around with. I'm hoping to get a cheap second hand PC system to play with and try it as all the rigs at work are Windows and I don't want to change my OSX setup on my Mac at home - downside is I'm looking for old AMD workstations of multicore machines with RAM and I can get some cheap looking rack servers but nowhere to store/run one!

EDIT:
    Just realised that I hadn't set the script to CHMOD the MPI one so it should be as script shown above.

I've been adding some more figures.

I imagine the Xeon X5660 is getting the same kind of speeds as the i7's due to the additional onboard cache (12M compared to 8M) as well as the additional 2 cores (though I don't think the cores play so much of issue). I think that one of the current i7's could outstrip a current Xeon.

Better compare the current i7's with the top segment of the Xeon line:
    the X5690 (3.46 Ghz, 6 cores, 12 threads); the X7560 (2.26 Ghz, 8 cores, 16 threads) or the top Opteron: the 6386 SE (2.8 Ghz, 16 cores and dito threads)

But then we have to have people with such CPUs who want them benchmarked... I will post my Llano's soon

I just ran it and sent results for my Lenovo notebook.

Thanks Dirk and vaughan.

Dirk, that's the problem I've come across. It's one thing to say run the benchmark but you need the people with them to be willing to run them.

Started the single core using ./fds5_linux_64 bench1.fds
    Started the multi core using ./fds5_mpi_linux_64 scale1.fds ('mpirun' was not recognised as a command, may have to reboot first. Will do when it is finished)
    Reboot did not help, helas. Did do the lamboot before trying to invoke the mpirun command.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 03-30-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Dirk, thanks for trying it. It looks like (from the attached text you sent me), that unfortunately it ran the test on a single core

Code:
    ./fds5_mpi_linux_64 scale1.fds
    Process   0 of   0 is running on ASUS-F1A75
    Mesh   1 is assigned to Process   0
    Mesh   2 is assigned to Process   0
    Mesh   3 is assigned to Process   0
    Mesh   4 is assigned to Process   0
    Mesh   5 is assigned to Process   0
    Mesh   6 is assigned to Process   0
    Mesh   7 is assigned to Process   0
    Mesh   8 is assigned to Process   0
    I would have expected that to say something like Process 0, Process 1 or Process 2 for three threads.

I'm afraid running under Linux isn't something I've really tried. It's something I'm aiming for but I currently don't have a machine I can test it all on. I briefly tried using a live USB late last year but it didn't give particularly good benchmarks. I'm hoping to get a server machine cheap on eBay I can play with at home.

I mean my best bet would be to use the Amazon EC2 instances as that would save me money in comparison to buying something - however, they can't guarantee that I'll get the same CPU each time so it makes benchmarking a bit hard!

Hi Drezha,

Unfortunately the mpirun was not recognised as a command, so the parameters that went with it neither.
    Guess that there needs to be some linking done in order to let the lamboot take effect, or that the multi-core run needs to be done in another directory/map.
    Shall send the single core runs for my A8-3820 and A8-3870K soon.

I'll be getting an OVH dedicated server for a month to have a play with linux and see what I can come up with. That'll let me play around with both linux and windows benchmarks (I have a Windows 2012 Server code) as it's guaranteed settings.

Would let me get some additional points in a DC project of choice for a month :P

Might have found the issue. I missed a p from the mpi command.

Should be

Code:
    mpirun -np 8 fds5_mpi_linux_64 Scale1.fds

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast