Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Majestic - 12

Yeh, they are still down, I'm still #1 in the world and AMD Users is still the #1 team in the world. (all because I seemed to have had a bigger cashe of buckets to crawl stored up than most).

Anyhow. This is certainly taking longer to fix than I had expected. Also, I am expecting that many more folks will keep a larger reserve of buckets to crawl.

One good thing about this MJ-12 downtime; CCPROXY.EXE (the Norton's Virus) hasn't been stealing reources away from Einstein crunching.
    Last edited by Steve Lux; 12-05-2007 at 04:51 PM.

I'd like to welcome WAR to the party and the team on MJ-12.

Damn U.K limited ISP's hold me back on this

You know you can control how many crawlers are active and how fast they crawl, right?

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I wish more people could run this. I've set MJ-12 to run from 1:00 to 9:00 am every night (happy hour on my ISP) a few months back, along with p2p applications, and bit by bit I've reached the top-20 on the Team.

Keep an eye on our #1 member FiddleAbout, he will reach 1 billion URLs very soon!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    I wish more people could run this. I've set MJ-12 to run from 1:00 to 9:00 am every night (happy hour on my ISP) a few months back, along with p2p applications, and bit by bit I've reached the top-20 on the Team.
    I'm interested in running it...How do I get it to set it running at a certain time and how do I figure out the optimum settings?

Also, will it interfere with my webserver on the same connection? In fact, can I run it on my server as well (both server and main rig?)

Speedtest shows me as 500kb/s download and 71 kb/s upload...Think someone in the house is running P2P mind. As we should have 2Mb broadband.
    Last edited by drezha; 02-07-2008 at 12:51 AM.

I'm already running Dimes. I'm hesitant to tie up my internet connection too much more.

I'm going to try it out on one of my rigs when I get home, will only run from 3-6 am though as that is free time on my isp.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by drezha View Post
    I'm interested in running it...How do I get it to set it running at a certain time and how do I figure out the optimum settings?

Also, will it interfere with my webserver on the same connection? In fact, can I run it on my server as well (both server and main rig?)

Speedtest shows me as 500kb/s download and 71 kb/s upload...Think someone in the house is running P2P mind. As we should have 2Mb broadband.
    I'm at work right now, so I can't check the exact options, but the MJ-12 client has options to set everything from download/upload speed limit, schedule to run, ammount of worker threads, etc...
    There's alot of help of their forums, and ours here as well, if you need to fine-tune it in a specific way.

But beware, it will indeed interfere with the webserver if you set it to full speed, because MJ-12 is a *major* bandwidth hog if you don't set it limits. I believe it's sufficient to run it on only one machine, unless you have more than one internet connections, in which case you could run it in one machine per net connection.
    Also, it is advised to have it on a relatively strong machine, because after crawling, it compresses the hundreds of megabytes of results before uploading back. (To save on upload bandwidth). A slower machine might spend too much time on the compressing stage and not be crawling as much as it could.
    Last edited by NeoGen; 02-08-2008 at 10:59 AM.

Cheers.

I'll look it up later then I seem to remember I can select preference on what domains to crawl as well. - cant impact crunching much as it'll run on a Quad core and so it'll only need to zip on one core.
    Last edited by drezha; 02-08-2008 at 02:26 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast