Thread: August 2013 Competitions

August 2013 Competitions

August 2013 has arrived, and the last two July challenges have just ended. Nicely timed for a change! No Simap challenge by BOINCStats -yet, but that may change any moment.

August 01 to August 08 - August Heat 1
    According to rmky, Founder of team California State University's Fullerton Physics Department: "we are a little behind schedule on sieving 10M770, so let's turn up the heat!"
    It is all about NFS, a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do the lattice sieving step in the Number Field Sieve factorization of large integers.
    August Heat 1 chatpage

August 02 to August 05 - Crunch with the best, or lunch with the rest ! Season 1 - Episode 8-12 : Crunch without Holidays !
    Thomas Dupont of Brigade du Cosmos with his almost weekly Seti challenges has now opted for an opportunity to give all of us without holidays a message:
    For this eighth edition : You didn't believe you would spend the summer rolling your thumbs, like the previous challenge CWTB ? Gone, everyone at work ! The crunch can't wait ! :p
    Crunch without Holidays chatpage

August 08 to August 15 - August Heat 2
    Yet more of sieving 10M770. If I do not get that 250,000 barrier broken now, I might already have done it in heat 1. Next stop at 500,000...
    August Heat 2 chatpage

August 12 to August 13 - Meteor Shower - Perseids
    As Yura12, Founder of team Colombia, says in his quaintly Colombian Spanish: "Во, интересная идея! Организовать забег в честь максимума метеорного потока Персеиды. А у нас – организованное наблюдение метеоров http://vk.com/event53378629 И потом – кучу результатов отсылаем в IMO". Must have someting to do with Asteroids@Home, as that is what the challenge is about.
    Meteor Shower chatpage

August 28 to August 29 - [Twenty Four 010] I have a dream crunch
    Thomas Dupont of Brigade du Cosmos with his almost weekly Seti challenges has now opted for an opportunity to celebrate the 50th anniversary of one of the greatest speechers in the History of the World. August 28, 1963, on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C., Martin Luther King delivered his famous speech "I Have a Dream", a true ode to the Movement for Civil Rights. If Martin Luther King had known then that a black President would occupy the Oval Office one day...
    I have a dream chatpage

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Awesome work, Dirk.
    Thanks again.
    Published.

Spanish! Ha Ha. S'funny.
    The lads in Kiev will be so disappointed:
    "In an interesting idea! Organize a race in honor of maximum Perseid meteor shower. And we have - organized by the observation of meteors http://vk.com/event53378629 And then - a lot of the results refer to the IMO"

awww.
    I see LLB beat me to it: http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/400
    got to be quick around here :P
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Tried a Russian-Dutch translator that -after some personal post-processing- roughly coughed up this: "Yes, interesting idea! Organizing a challenge at moment of the peak of the Perseid meteor shower. Using our observation data at http://vk.com/event53378629 and then transferring the results to the International Meteor Organisation (IMO)".

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Much better
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

I was wondering what the hell it said ..lol i figured someone else may perhaps what to know what it said also

I don't know when they added it but the auto detect language feature is nice in google translate

I already knew it was Russian but it was still cool
    Last edited by Logic Labs; 08-03-2013 at 05:23 AM.

I have been testing the heating ability of one machine running milkyway. It should help for this leg of the race a little bit, but I don't think it will be enough help to get us to the number 5 spot.

Great! As Eek! the cat used to say: "It never hurts to help"
    Be sure to follow the most recent challenge events on our Home page
    Note the influence of Jason's effort (blue is Boinc@Poland, red is us):
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-24-2013 at 10:28 PM.