Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: intel gpu's

We have to wait till Terry has installed his hybrid water/air cooling on his HD 6870 to see whether it is possible to both cool and quiten it.
    The high power bill remains standard though, I guess.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-14-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Do they sell these with the domestic hot water heater option?

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    The bugaboo is that until you get into the "professional" duty cards you just get crippled double precision cards, ala Nvidia. And yup the intel cards are way more than I care to spend too. But one is allowed to drool a little! lol The 7990 and Titan also will turn a car garage at the North Pole into the tropics.... And I imagine the intel gpu's will too. I have one 6870 that makes my ears feel like I'm back working on the flight deck launching jets in full afterburner -- both in noise and heat. I like the output from it but it's just too much heat, etc.
    Bruce, I have some serious heat problems since I have 2 6970's, 3 6870's, and a 6850 all running. I sure wish winter would get here. lol As for the air/liquid cooler I'm just not sure what to put it on as it'll be a one time shot since many of the heat sinks have to be glued on and I think I'll wait for a new top of the line card to put it on.

for some of the cards like the 7770 or 7790 I think something like this would be good. It would be usable on future cards where the full coverage options are not. It may not work on some of the higher end cards that require more cooling for voltage regulations and memory, but many of the cards are cooling memory with air that has passed through the heatsink. I have a few 5850's with full coverage blocks that come in handy for running projects like milkyway that run hot.

Well I decided that I would just shut down the gpu projects due to the heat they generate. Just too much for the a/c loading when added to the hot summer. So just running stuff on asteroids@home for a while as that is a considerable reduction in the heat issue. Maybe some day I'll dink around with water cooling some gpu's, but that isn't in the budgetary game plan for the foreseeable near term future. Win some, lose some lol! :-)

have you ever tried to play a game on an lintel extreme graphics card ? they are crap!!! unless they r going to partner with nvidai or something i would expect anything great to come out of it. there are kinda late in the game as far as decent apus go. the ring buss on the new chips is an interesting idea..... but not really when compared to hyper transport .the i7s or way overpriced for the performance unless you make your living in graphic rendering and what ive experienced the i3s and i5s bring back memories of celeron processors with a crappy cash . running intel is like driving a car really really fast....... in 1st gear.and triple channel requirements for i7s is stupid and only shows any real performance increase if your running one task that is utilizing the entire system capable load (ie rendering video) it would have made more sense if they were going that route to dedicate a channel for each core however i3s 2cores 2 threads i5s 4cores 4 threads i7 4cores 8 threads. 8 threads is not the same thing as 8 cores. im not sure but i would thing that would create interrupts on each core witch seems to defeat the advantage of having the multi core in the first place. i wouldn't expect anything great to come out of lab with this mindset. i would expect a dedicated graphics card to out preform any type of Intel APU on a mobile device. and most intel benchmarks are bias as hell id like to see some kind of real world benchmark like lets see how many hd videos we can play at the same time on an i7 4core 8 threads vs 8 native cores on an amd before the systems start to choke

HA thought id see what intel is up to real quick as of today for the top end i7 intel fans are all boasting about for the price of just the i7 cpu I could build 2 complete desktop 8core amd systems and i do mean complete screens keyboards speakers ect
    Last edited by NerdLifeAMD; 09-03-2013 at 10:16 PM.
    Word Nerds!

First off, the bios allows you to set hyper threading on i3,5,7 or disable it. There are instances where it is definitely beneficial to have, such as crunching plus feeding a gpu on aproject that does not require the full time services of a cpu to feed an ati/amd gpu. for other projects it's pretty much trial and error as to whether or not hyper threading is worthwhile or not. As for the worth of either amd or intel cpu's that depends again on the project as there are multiple projects that perform better with one make over another. And that basically determines whether one would be better off running a group of I7's or AMD 8 cores. Neither AMD or Intel has the corner on which is the best cpu because best requires qualification as to the intended use of the specific cpu. And finally, one needs to take into account things like current draw, heat, and such because while one cpu may run better on a project, it may suck more power than the user has available for instance. I run both amd and intel cpu's. Once upon a time I was 100% amd. I have to admit there are projects, such as Asteroids@home that I prefer using intel on.

Intel makes all sorts of core-i CPUs, the ones that require triple channel RAM are Socket 1366 based i7s and have no IGP (Internal Graphics). They were way overpriced and already a bit obsolete.
    There's also a bunch that requires even quad channel RAM, they are i7s using Socket 2011 and also have no IGP. They are way overpriced, but capable cruchers when you have a 6-core variant (with hyperthreading=12 WUs at a time).
    Then there are core-i CPUs that do not have such exotic taste in RAM. The might use Socket 1156 (Lynnfield/Clarkdale) -and then they will not have a worthwhile IGP-; Socket 1155 (Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge) or Socket 1150 (Haswell).
    i3s are just a notch over the Pentium Dual Core, which in it's turn is just a notch over the Celeron, i7s are i5s plus added hyperthreading. The best models feature the Intel HD3000 (Sandy Bridge), HD4000 (Ivy Bridge) or HD4600 (Haswell) IGPs and they become increasingly more powerful. The Ivy Bridge and Haswell IGPs can be used for crunching! But it might be a severe pain in the butt to install the needed Intel OpenCL when you already have a AMD card running on that system....
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 09-04-2013 at 08:29 PM.

nuclear power here in Athens. power draw from the grid not even on my list of concerns. unless you are referencing to a draw on the power supply. my power,water,sewer,trash,gas and availability fees for all (availability fees are Bull S) have never been more than $350. i guess i see how having a thread enabled for the purposes such as controlling a gpu is nice. as far as an end user experience multitasking burning wile encoding wile gaming wile downloading.In my opinion there is no comparison (in current architecture) to the responsiveness of and AMD CPU TO an Intell one. admitting there are a lot more things in play ram,video card, chipset and the users ability to optimism there system. I have said on more than one occasion if you give an Intel a single task and tell to have at it they do perform very very very well and that why large corporation use them for SINGLE threaded applications AMDs kick the crap out of Intel on Multiple threaded applications for a 4th of the price a good example is the bulldozer chip line when benched 1 thread against an i7 the Intel chip owns .....however i like to use my computer its going to take a new generation of software engineers to take the time to write more multi threaded apps to get a fair comparison ....when the Athlon64 came out it took 3 years for Intel to catch up ((((OH SNAP Before i forget one time only i say a WU running that said running multicore )))) i dont remember the project is that a setting somewhere im not seeing or is it project specific or whats the deal???

one other thought ive noticed that the pile driver 8 way is really 4 dual core when you look at how the chip is laid out two cores each share one L2 and they count this as 8 threads. do intel chips have an L2 dedicated to each thread
    Last edited by NerdLifeAMD; 09-04-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    Word Nerds!

hey so i was bored today and looked into these cards some more. 1600 bucks.. booooooo
    I also noticed that all the ones i came across had no video output and were more like co-processors.
    I can see how there would be a nitch for them in some fields . over 1TF a second
    Word Nerds!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast